1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Status Graphite Black Nylon Tapewound Strings (mini review)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lokire, Apr 22, 2006.

1. I'm probably not the best 'reviewer' as far as strings go, but on Monday I got the set of Status Graphite's Black Nylon Tapewound strings that I ordered a couple weeks ago. Initially, I bought the strings because I love the feel and look of Tapewound strings (I have a set of LaBellas too) and Status Graphite's set had a more familiar gauge, pretty much standard gauge (45-65-85-105-130), whereas the LaBellas feel a little...big.

First of all, these strings look awesome! Like you might hope for, they have black wraps on both the tuner and bridge end, unlike the fairly ugly (imo) purple wraps that the LaBellas have. But then comes a problem. At the tuning peg end of the strings, they aren't tapered at all, so whatever the gauge of the string is, that's what you've got to get into the tuning peg. The E string was a tight fit, but the B was way too big to even try to get in there :meh: . I had to carefully cut off a bit of the black wrapping, then unwrap the nylon tape wrapping a ways and cut that off, then unwind one of the layers of the roundwound string itself and cut that off, and THEN it fit into the tuning peg with a bit of force. Not very fun at all, but I got it in there.

Once the strings were all on, they sound great and they feel awesome. Definatly lower tension than the LaBellas. Very close to the tension of my usual Hi-Beams. Also, vibrato and bends on these strings are way easier and sound better to my ears. That nylon tape coupled with the lower tension just slides on those frets like butter.

They sound simmilar to the LaBellas. You still get that roundwound kind of tone, but a little more muted all around and much smoother in the higher range. I think the LaBella B-string sounds better (it's tapered and the Status B isn't), but neither sound especially great for a B-string.

I've been doing a lot of string experimentation lately and I'm planning on recording a bunch of comparison soundclips. Of these Status Graphite Tapewounds, the LaBella Tapewounds, DR Hi-Beams, and Ritter's new "Black Night" Strings (their Swordsteel strings covered in a very thin black metal layer). And once I get my Lightwave bass, I'll try out the Tapewound strings on it and TI Acousticore strings too :D

2. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    GHS also makes black nylon tapewounds in a sensible gauge, that you may want to compare.

I recently switched to them from the Rotosound 88's..although I loved the sound of the Roto's the extra heavy gauge wasn't setting up right and I didn't want to cut the nut on my Rickenbacker.

The GHS's work fine.

Pyramid also recently announced black tapewounds, whch I suspect will be great... but pricey!

3. Well, it sounds like a great set of strings!
    I especially like the fact they are very similar to Hi-Beams in tension.
    I'm definitely going to put a set of those on my fretless once it's finished.

Good thing I'm building a four-string though, the non-tapering at the peg end is quite the hassle for a .130 string...
    Totally weird too, I don't think I've ever come across non-tapered strings like that.

4. What kind of bass are you using for these string experiments?

5. My Ken Lawrence 5-string is the main test subject. Though right now I have the Hi-Beams on the KL, the Status-Graphite strings on my DeArmond 4-string, and the LaBellas on a Washburn fretless I have. I tried the Status-Graphites on the fretless but didn't like that combo as much. I think the higher gauge LaBellas get a thicker tone on the fretless which suits it better. The Ritters should be coming in any day now and they'll be going on my KL :)

6. Lownote Floyd

Lownote Floyd

May 31, 2010
    USA
    Where do you buy the Status Graphite black nylons in the US? And what would be your second choice for the HB4? Thanks. Do you get medium or short scale?

7. Wow, that's an oldie brought back to life :)

I don't live in the US, so sorry, I can't help you with that.

But I would like to add one thing I noticed with these strings to the review: if you slide notes a lot and fast up and/or down the board, prepare to burn your fingers. The nylon tape is a great heat insulator so all the friction heat goes where? Right, your fingertip.
    I love the look and sound of these strings, but I'm going 'all metal' again for my fretless, just to stay cool :cool:

jeffb28451 likes this.
  8. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Whatever became of these tests? I've played Status black nylon tapewounds for several years on different basses. I like them a lot. Don't have insight into the others.

9. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I use the GHS tapes on my Portamento, and they sound and feel exactly as you'd expect.

As for the gauges being to big for the B string, put a 90 degree bend in the sting with about an inch of tail. Lay it in the tuning peg, then wrap the first loop above the string, then go below it. It locks the string in nicely.