1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Status Graphite Buzzard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stingrayz, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Hello =)

I was interested in buying a Status graphite Buzzard bass, the B1 or something like that, not the b2 =p, (the one JE used)

Well, i went to their site and it wasnt listed there, so are they still making them ?

and i've read some mixed reviews on the bass, would you recomend the Graphite ? or shouid i go with a warwick ?

and could you please tell me what are the pluses of graphite and the pluses of wood ? thank you

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, graphite takes longer to burn. That could be a plus or a minus depending on your situation.

(j/k, I love weird-looking basses. :) )

3. far0n

far0n

Apr 28, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    There's a really good John Entwistle bass solo on www.youtube.com that shows him playing his Buzzard. Certainly gives you some idea of what to expect.

4. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Status only produce the "B-2" model now. The Buzzard was designed by Entwistle I believe, and his son sold the design rights to Warwick after his death - hence the only Buzzard bass you can buy today is a Warwick.

5. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Damn that sucks totally bummed me out after reading that.. =/

Is there anywhere i can find a Status Graphite Buzzard for sale ? or anyone have one for sale ?

or even the 2003 LTD warwick buzzard ?

Thanks,

6. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Basscentral.com has several warwick buzzards for sale. If you really really wanted a Status Buzzard you might could email Rob Green at Status and see if he would make a one off for you but the originals were about $5300 so expect to pay a good amount.

7. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    Im ready to shell out that kind of money, im in love with that bass lol =p

8. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    How could he if Entwistle's family has sold the "rights" to Warwick (that's a laugh, coz Warwick has always respected the IP rights of others - Spector vs. Streamer, Steinberger vs. Nobby Meidel anyone), it would be copyright or registered design infringement. BTW, just curious, but did his family keep anything after his death? Seems like all of his guitars and basses and other R'nR' memorabilia went onto the auction block pretty quickly. Hope my son keeps a couple of my favorite basses after I'm gone.

9. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I know his main Status basses were auctioned, and a ton of other instruments, gold records, wardrobe and so on, but Entwistle had so much stuff I am sure quite a bit was kept.
    If I had known Status wouldn't be making more I think I would have saved up and snagged one. What always worried me about the Status Buzzard was that John said the body collapsed on the first one. Made me wonder about the composite formula and if that is fluke that could repeat itself.

10. ...Spectore vs. Thumb, eh?...

Hmm.. Im sure you meant to type "Streamer."

;)

-Ryan.

11. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    I did, sorry (now corrected).

12. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    This is so un fair, it pisses me off..

i cant believe this..

13. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    Status, at least for now, will not be making any more B1's. I correspond regularly with a few folks who are Entwistle afficionados, and one of them spoke directly to Rob Green of Status about this. Essentially, Warwicks lawyers got involved, and Status had to quit making them and promise not to make any more.

If you want a B1, they are hideously expensive these days. One was on Ebay, and the guy pulled it so he could put it on another site and get more money. I think it went for about $15K, almost three times how much a new one cost.

You're stuck with Warwick, which I personally wouldn't touch, but there you have it.

Alan

14. Stingrayz

Stingrayz

Jan 15, 2006
    Kuwait
    I saw rob green post some where on the status forum, he was in the Buzzard forum... anyways, he was interested in getting ideas to make a new buzzard. but ofcourse it has to be a different name... i wish it looks close to the original buzzard, i personally hate the B2, looks like a mixed fender... i guess i will wait and see what happens i wish John's son didnt sell most of johns stuff, and the rights to the buzzard design and J.Es name to warwick...

Greedy selfish bugger :p lol

:bag: :bag: :bag:

15. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    The Buzzard was originally designed by Warwick & His Majesty Entwistle, around 1985-1986.

Later during the nineties Status made him a graphite Buzzard, when his endorsement with Warwick finished..

16. Played a Warwick Buzzard. Instantly I knew why among the items from the estate auction there was a smashed corpse of one.

I do remember hearing that the sale was prompted by Draconian inheritance tax laws, that the son was left with little choice.

17. [​IMG]

18. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    OK....so here he is....

I still get cold chills watching it...:crying:

19. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    If you're not just totally stuck on the Buzzard shape, a Status Stealth with the same electronics package would sound as near as dammit to a Buzzard.
    I have a 20+ yo S2000 and it sounds excellent, no dead spots, never goes out of tune and is as tough as nails.

20. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    my Status Stealth headless 5'er is the best bass I have ever played in my entire life.