Status graphite Fender necks...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Charred, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    Replacement necks?
    I have a Fender Precision Pro Plus that I love for tone (Lace Sensor actives). But the neck is one of the 'baseball bat' too thick in the palm jobs. As a Ric 4003 player, the difference in necks/technique is just too great to use the P-bass as a back-up live.
    I have extensively researched replacement necks and was ready to custom order a Warmoth wooden neck.UNTIL, I chanced upon Status graphite offerings. The Status graphite uses a 'woven' texture with a smooth clear over coating that is simply stunning to behold. My black P will look awesome .
    I am looking for comments from anyone who has played a graphite neck as to the validity of the manufacturers claims that they are superior tonally (especially harmonically), to wooden necks. Status is a high priced but very high quality manufactuer favored by many pro's.

Any graphite users out there?
    Pleased to have found this site-
    Have enjoyed reading and learning from you

Thx in advance
  2. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    My Status is <i>all</i> carbon, not just the neck, so my opinion may not be totally applicable. The neck feels great, has a profile that fits my hand very well (similar in size and profile to my Alembics) and the sound is superb. As for being superior tonally, well that's in the ears of the listener and is very subjective. What I hear is an added harmonic range that extends well beyond what a lot of wood necked basses can deliver. Will you like it? I dunno, but I'd rather have the extra high harmonics to give me added tonal options; they can easily be filtered out. Will it still sound like a stock Fender? No, I doubt it, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to dial in Fender-like tones. Will the neck be stable? Heck yes, based on my experiences with mine (>20 y.o.) and correspondence with other Status owners. Mine never moves and stays in tune for very long periods of time.

The other advantages of a Status neck, are the excellent workmanship and build quality, and great support. If you look at the purchase as a long term investment, the neck isn't really that expensive.

Let us know if you decide to get the neck and what you think of it. I've been contemplating one for a while as I have most of the other parts here now, but I don't really need any more instruments.
  3. "Fender Precision Pro Plus"

is that a 22fret model?

the status neck is 20fret, so wouldn't fit correctly.
    (unless they can do a custom order?)

BTW I have a 92 Precision Plus (passive, 22fret, originally had Lace Sensors) and am interested if there are any replacement necks that would fit.
  4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Me too. I have a bass I "built" around a 22 fret P-Bass Plus neck that I'm not totally happy with.

Seems no one makes the 22 fret Fender type neck, even though many Fender models are using it. I'm not even sure Fender would sell one.
  5. I think Moses offer a 22fret graphite neck.
    it's a bit vague as to which type it is though- 22frets with no overhang, 2 frets on an overhang or 1fret on an overhang (as on the Lyte and Zone standard).
  6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    I think it is Hambone who regularly takes P necks and takes them down to J size and shape. You might PM him about it. Also, probably many other luthiers could do the same for you.

Since you love the tone of the bass as is, I thinking that the original neck, reshaped, will give you a final tone that is closer to the original than any other replacement you might make, particularly a carbon fiber composite one.
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Moses Graphite can make you a replica of your 22 fret neck if you send it out them. If more than one person is interested in buying one, the custom job price might come down since they are making multiple copies. Moses sells licensed Fender replacement necks, so there shouldn't be a problem with them making the Fender headstock. And, there shouldn't be a problem with them changing the profile, either.

Something to consider. :bassist:
  8. Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    Thanks for the input guys! Yes, indeed this Plus is a 22 fret model.
    I assumed that the heel radius and depth would be consistent with Fender standard necks. If this were true, would it not be abig deal to put a 20fret (slightly shorter), neck on it. Or would that make the strings VERY loose or tight at standard tuning? Hmmm, or would a simple bridge saddle movement make up the difference? I suppose that may be far too great a distance in nut to saddle to make up...2 frets...1 inch or so. Hmmm
    I will recieve exact neck measurements from Status on Monday from Rob Green per our e-mail correspondence. Perhaps someone can help me assess this better with final neck dimensions known? I really WANT one of those necks, if only for aesthetic reasons, simply stunning looks.
    Yes, I also looked at the Moses offering, but I really dislike the 'groove' cut into the headstock. They responded to my inquiry that they cannot make 1 without the groove. Hmmmm...

Thanks all, this forum ROCKS!!!
  9. with the saddles adjusted to intonate correctly there wouldn't be any change in string tension.

if you fitted a 20 fret neck to a body intended for 22frets the bridge saddles would have to be moved towards the end of the body just over an inch-
    I don't think you'd be able to get correct intonation with the bridge in its present location- and there isn't much room to move it back either.

also the tone may become slightly bassier as the pickups are effectively being moved away from the bridge.
  10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You would have to move the bridge about an inch and a half back. Something I found was impossible (not enough room) on a P-plus dimensioned body when I tried a (Fender spec) Moses 20 fret P style neck on it. Yes, the heel/pocket dimensions are the same, but you need a neck with the longer heel or you're screwed. I aquired a P-Plus 22 fret neck from a fellow TalkBasser that made everything right.

However, not being a big fan of non-reinforced (Graphite, Steel bars, etc.) necks I would like to try a (22 fretheel) Graphite or reinforced neck (Maple board a plus) on it.

I didn't know the "Lyte" and "Zone" necks had an overhang board rather than a full heel though. Does anyone know if any of the other specialty Fenders with 22 fret, reinforced necks ("American Deluxe", etc.) have full heels, or are they overhangs too?
  11. Personally, I love graphite and composite necks. I have owned 2 steinbergers (one with bolt on composite neck), 2 Status Graphite basses and two Zons. The Status neck, at least on the Status basses, has a very different profile from these others and from Fender necks (the Steinberger and Zon necks tend to be similar to P or J necks, depending on the models). Status necks are very thin, front to back, and are usually about the same thickness across the entire length of the neck. That means that they are very flat in the upper register area. The back becomes almost completely flat by the time you get to the 12th fret.

As for tone, I love it. It's definitely brighter than other materials I have owned - perhaps similar to maple. The fingerboards on all these are also synthetic, generally being wood impregnated with some sort of hardner. The combination adds to the brightness - perhaps along the lines of a maple neck and maple fingerboard.

You should contact Rob Green at Status, he will reply to email, it just might take a week or two. He should be able to tell you for sure what will work and what won't.
  12. Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
  13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I never had the full P-Bass Plus, just aquired a neck (see pic). I was puting together a "Super PJ Bass" using P-Bass Plus body dimensions....not realizing the 22 fret/heel neck problem (I had a Moses P neck ready to go).

I did, however, buy a "Jazz Plus" in the early 90s when they were current. I had played a original Steinberger XL2 for 7 years and was itching for something different. It sounded nice in the store, but was horrible on-stage. Couldn't compete at all with the Steinberger in tone or output and hummed badly from the stage lights. I returned it the next day.:( [​IMG]

14. the US Zone Deluxe, US P deluxe and US J deluxe have full heels.

you can see the Zone standard and old P Lyte have a square end to the fingerboard, but a round heel underneath.

ps. the Lace sensor pickups weren't actually active themselves- my P plus had them- all passive.
    the P plus deluxe had an active preamp/tone control circuit.
  15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Well, that being said.....anybody have a neck off one of these models they want to part with????;)

Does the Mexican P and J Deluxes have the full heel and Graphite bars also?
  16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    For the record I wasn't suggesting that the sound of a graphite neck was bad, I was just pointing out that he said he loved the sound of his bass as is, and that his own neck reshaped would preserve that sound best.

The Peavey G-bass had a 21-fret neck, about 21 1/2 frets overall length. I wonder if one of those could be made to work? You sometimes see the G-basses for cheap. And weren't the necks made by Status or Moses? They have that woven appearance on the back (I saw one a few days ago).
  17. Charred

Sep 18, 2004
    lancaster, pa.
    I understood exactly your points pilotjones, and appreciated exactly what you were trying to convey. I have researched at length the merits of graphite necks tonally and meant to try to IMPROVE on what I already considered to be a great tone. I figured the tone was more due to a combination of a lucky singular gem great body (some just are I think), and the Lace pups. (I have owned another P-Plus with the exact same body shape and p-up configuration and it did NOT sound nearly as good hmmmmmmmm.., odd yes). I was thinking that the graphite neck could only make it sound better. But, I suppose that is not neccesarily a given. Sometimes a bass just has the perfect match of neck, body, p-ups. I've played some Squires that I swear outplayed American Fenders!
    I will indeed check out the G-bass. Thanks for the tip and your ideas.
  18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Almost forgot:
    I've been meaning to check out the Carvin replacement necks. I think the heel goes to the 22nd fret (and seems to be Fender dimensions), they're graphite reinforced, and you can get them with a blank/slab headstock if you want to make it a certain shape.

Their mag only lists the rosewood board version, but since they make the "Bolt" model (same neck) in a Maple board version I don't see why it wouldn't be available. I just can't get anyone at Carvin to answer emails (about anything) so as to find out for sure.

Anyone have info about this?
  19. wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    My main bass guitar is a Status Series II.
    I love Status basses and cannot say enough good about them.

But the Fender replacement necks feel very different form the necks on the actual Status line... more LIKE a Fender neck.

But they DO have that smooth carbon, graphite feel to them on both the back (which feels ultra smooth and shiny) and the fretboard.

I doubt you'd be unhappy with the Status neck and I'd bet it will imporve your sustain andintonation as well.

As far as the 22 fret issue.. have you emailed Rob Green at Status and asked him if he makes a neck for that?
    And/or do you have a luthier who could look at it and siggest another bridge option for a 20 fret neck?
  20. the MIM P and J Deluxes are 20fret, no reinforcement.

Fender tends to put the trussrod adjuster at the bridge end on their graphite reinforced necks-
    I think it's safe to assume all Fender necks with the adjuster at the headstock end are non-reinforced.

ps. re. the Peavey G bass, FWIW the graphite neck on the Brian Bromberg sig model was made by Modulus. not sure about the weave (Modulus necks usually have a random weave pattern)