Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Graphite Necks on P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassManPatsFan, Oct 22, 2005.

1. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Hey guys,
    I've been interested in buying a new neck for my old crap P-Bass thats been lying around cuz the one it has has a broken truss rod and isnt really playable. I was thinking of going the status graphite route because ive heard theyre great and I do a bit of outdoor playing in a football band, so having the graphite neck would be a huge help. So, my question is would the music man neck work with a pbass? I know it seems logical to just buy the p or jazz neck but im a much bigger fan of the music man neck dimensions than i am one of the p or jazz. Also, the smaller headstock would help it fit more easily in some of the bags i have. I know that you have to drill your own holes in the neck so the fact that most music men are five(?) bolts doesnt matter but would the different neck affect the scale or anything of the bass? Are p-bass tuners able to be switched around so i can put one on the other side?
    I don't really plan on getting the new neck soon (maybe by christmas), but knowing if the music man would work or not will help me narrow down my choices.
    Thanks!
    -Alex

2. ducaticarl

ducaticarl

Oct 16, 2005
    Not sure if those necks would fit...but Warmoth does have quite a few necks that will directly fit a Fender..Their necks are also very well made.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Music Man necks are 22 frets. Fenders are 20. Problem with scale length? Oh yeah!

I've heard of people putting graphite necks on their P-basses, and all I can do is bang my head into the wall and ask God how he can allow such atrocity. I'm with the Warmoth crowd. You can get direct replacement necks for your P with pretty much any dimensions you want that have 22 frets and won't muck up your scale. And they're made of wood, which is the only building material needed for a P bass. Or you can take your P to a guitar shop and get an estimate on how much it would be to fix the truss rod and see if that's not out of the question. If it's an American Fender, I would do it even if it was expensive.

BTW, what is a football band?

4. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    haha alright thank you guys thats what i wanted to know.

"football band" - we play some classic rock and marching type songs in the stands at my high schools home football games.

Sometimes it starts to rain or something and i dont feel comfortable playing my bass in the rain, cuz as we know bad things happen when we do that....

Thanks for sharing your opinion on graphite necks on p-basses but im still up for the idea and id like to try it sometime. Ill keep ya updated on waht happens
    thanks!
    -Alex

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    you can use the MM neck, but youll have to re-rout the neck pocket.

6. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Pretty sure you can buy a Status Graphite P-Bass neck that is 20 frets. I know he makes the Retro Active Basses in both "P" and "J" styles and they are 20 fret instruments. I personally think it's a great idea if you are playing outside in the cold or whatever. The neck would be solid for sure..

7. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    yeah im aware...i might go the Jazz route seeing as i prefer jazz necks over precision ones. Does anyone know some of the more detailed specs about the status j necks, such as radius, width, thickness, and all that?
    Thanks
    -Alex

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    As far as I'm aware, J and P necks are interchangeable, which of course means a direct replacement Status J neck would fit your P bass. I put Status necks on two of my Js and they are superbly made, give what I consider a tone to die for and are absolutely rock solid.

And Jimmy - God let me do it, no problem! :D I actually think you'd love these if you got your hands on them.