1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Status graphite necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMonstrum, Jul 28, 2012.

1. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I did a search and couldn't find a thread that specifically dealt with the topic. I have a '70 RI Precision bass fitted with a StewMac replacement neck. While I find it more comfortable than the stock Fender Precision neck (matter of taste, right?), I'm more after that Jazz-feel; narrower by the neck, but still a bit beefy at the back.

I know there are a lot of options, but I've always admired Status basses and necks for a long time. Those of you who have a Status neck on your Fender or what-nots, what are your thoughts?

2. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I have had jazz bass replacement necks from Status, Modulus and Moses. The Moses neck needed fretwork. Once that was done it proved itself to be extremely reliable. Tone was very warm. Not sterile as is sometimes claimed by detractors of graphite necks. The Modulus neck was a Bassstar model. No trussrod. Fretwork was great. Also very warm sounding. Wonderful even tone. This was on a jazz bass that I had over ten years before it was stolen. I am still upset. Modulus does not make the Bassstar anymore. The Bassstar had the Fender headstock shape that I prefer. They do still make a jazz bass replacement neck, but with their own headstock design. Most recently I had a Status jazz style replacement neck. Impeccable fretwork. Beautiful laquer finish. The closest in feel to a 60s jazz bass neck. Very thin and comfortable. sound was a little more modern than the other two, but not in a bad way. Here in the US it is the more expensive of the three. If you choose the Status, I expect you will be very happy.

3. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Thanks, man!

I found the Frankenbass-thread and scrolled through all 41 pages to find pictures of basses fitted with Status-necks. Man, they are awesome! My P-bass has a white finish and a black pickguard. I fitted it with a Badass II bridge, now I'm going to install a Seymour Duncan MusicMan pick-up by the bridge, swap to a Status jazz-neck and maybe change the pickguard to a tortoise. Just have to wait till payday...

4. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    I played a Modulus neck on a jazz in the 80's and found it cold and unnatural feeling. It sounded good but after about 6 months I sold it.

5. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Really? Hmm, something to consider. Anyone else want to chime in with experiences? The more the better.

6. Opinion - if you've never owned graphite ...consider one that's factory assembled .. Xx when you buy a quality used one they can be cashed out fairly easy

7. A gbass is a cirrus/modulus hybird... 500-800 used

8. ricknote

ricknote

Aug 3, 2006
    Nashville
    I put a 5 string Status on my Stingray 5. Absolutely flawless quality.
    Search the posts. I had put up pics I think.
    Much better low b focus and lower buzz free action.
    Great live!

9. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    I only ever use Status Graphite necks, because they sound great, don't warp, don't need constant tweaking, get low action and feel great.

I don't however like really skinny necks, so even on my Jazzes I choose Precision-width necks and those along with the Musicman replacements have never let me down or disappointed me. I say do it!

Basses16Nov201112.

10. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    SOLD!

Are the Jazz-necks thinner than the standard Fenders or do you just not like Jazz in general?

11. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    From what I remember, all the Jazz, Precision and Musicman nuts on Status replacement necks match up with their Fender/Musicman counterparts.

But I just don't like too small a string spacing at the nut (I have quite fat fingers!) and I also believe that a fatter neck imparts more tone (subjective I know-especially when we're talking about graphite!).

But they are all very comfortable and fast to play on. I would imagine a Jazz replacement would be too -if I could only deal with its narrowness!

12. I have nothing bad to say about Status graphite. this is by far the most comfortable neck I have ever played. the graphite ads so much depth and clarity, even when using heavy overdrive.

BTW halfmanhalfbass what do you use to clean the fingerboard?

Attached Files:

13. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Being graphite, you can use pretty much anything really.

I personally use Fast Fret or WD40, or when I'm polishing the frets (occasionally when I change strings), I use the liquid metal polish stuff that also buffs the fretboard to a bright shine along with the frets too-no masking off necessary!

14. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Just ordered a Status Jazz neck for my P-bass... STOKED is the word.

15. Flump

Flump

Feb 20, 2012
    I ordered a Status music man replacement for a bass I made myself. I can't comment on how it changed the tone becuase it was on there from the beginning, but the neck itself is incredible. Their workmanship is top notch. Finish, frets, nut, etc...

The ONLY beef I have is that the frets are so short on mine I will never be able to re-level them when worn. i will have to refret. Hopefully that won't be for a very long time, but it's 1 thing to consider and I kind of wonder if its the same for everyone.