Status .. GREAT! .. MAE (the store that had it) SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Sep 7, 2004.

1. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I just got back from this store about 5 minutes ago.
    I am still steaming! After the whole ride home, I could kick someones ass. I was treated like such **** (crap) ..

I go to MAE, a music store here in Davie (ft. lauderdale area). They have alot of basses that other stores wouldn't think of carrying: Lakland, Alembic, Parker, Peavey Cirrus, Status, and a few others that I can't remember. I really only went for new strings, but decided to take a look around at some basses and rack equipment (B'ringers).. I tried out some Alembic's and Status' . The stratus 4 was sooo nice, graphite neck, low low action, huge tone and great VW like sound ( like i was reading about in the Fodera thread ) It was like a dream bass to play, I HAVE SERIOUS GAS for this and will save my pennies till I get one, but not from this store.

I was jamming out on the Status, gettin into it but playing moderately low, people would walk by and pause and give a listen cuz i was slappin the poo outta it. Needless to say, the guitar section right next to the basses, there's the Manager and some old guy lookin at fender's with the volume almost halfway to heaven, and shaking the walls of the store, and the Manager there just nodding and smiling, 'this guitar sounds great, eh?' .. I then turn mine up a little just so I could hear myself, and he walks over....
    'Can I help you? Are you going to buy something? Cuz we'd like to keep the basses down. Our bass guy isn't here today but if you are going to buy something we could spend all day with you.'

I just sat there blankly staring at him thinking, 'your an idoit.'

I said , 'no just looking for right now, I'll be getting strings in a little. You have 36" strings for a 4 string bass?'

Manager: I don't know where they'd be located, our bass guy isn't here.

Me: When will he be here?

Manager: Let me check............. The general consensus here is no one knows when he'll be in. But please keep it down. I'll send someone over to help you

He walks off, im just shaking my head laughing to myself, and thinking, if i was playing a guitar he'd be licking my balls to buy something.

So this little mexican fellow comes over and I ask how much for the status, I may as well been speaking english to this man (oh wait, i was, but he still didn't understand i was ASKING FOR THE FLIPPIN PRICE) .. his reply..

'Uh uh, let me see the bass I will have it checked.'

He comes back "$2000. Is that in your price range?!"

I said, not bad, but not today. Maybe around $700 or $800.

So he takes the bass, puts it back on the wall, takes the chord out of the amp I was playing, rolls it up, and walks off.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? I'm just sitting there thinking, great way to make some money. I get up and start walking out, the manager says 'Come again.' and i said 'No way'.

I have never been treated like that. Tell your friends, that place wouldn't know customer service if it was taking a dump on their head.

On the other hand though, that status bass was sooooooo amazing. I'm going to have both dreams and nightmares about it cuz I want it sooo bad.
  2. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Here's the thing, if you go into a music store LOOKING like a kid w/o any money.. then you'll be treated like a kid w/o any money.

Plus, let me ask you something... Do you have a Guitar Center in your area? We have one around here, & they guitars they leave on the wall get the hell beat out of them. Typically, a smaller, higher end shop doesn't want thier $2k basses turned into beaters. I'm not suggesting you were beating on it, but they just want to protect thier investment, for a buyer who's serioius about it.
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I thought you were saying Mae, the emo band on Tooth N Nail records sucks. I was about to say. Uh uh.
  4. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Yes, the guitar center around me has great customer service, but crappy products. I went there to try out the stuff I read about on here. Had they said something polite to me I would have been ok, but they just treated me like a punk rocker.. (no offense to the punk people out there) I was genuinly interested in this bass. To snatch it from me and put it back on the wall, then take the cord so I couldn't play any of there basses, even a squier!? Thats just stupid. :scowl:
    I could have really spent some money there, either today or in the future, but **** them.
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Funny you say "They wouldn't know customer service if it took a dump on their heads" and you have a Dave Mathhers quote in your signature. :p
  6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    If you came into my store, and started "slapping the poo" out of a $2000 bass you had no intention of buying, I'd tell you to stop. Period.

The customer isn't always right. This is an example of one of those times. If the person the manager was talking to was interested in buying an instrument, why should he have trouble hearing it because of you going "slappity slappity slappity?" Answer: He shouldn't.
  7. BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    they didn't even know the price of the guitar.. The manager didn't even know if they had 36" bass strings, all he knew is that an old guy was playing a fender. but, ok, im wrong, it was my fault.. next topic, where else can i find myself the status I played? Had a headstock though.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmm... I don't know whether to close it or move it. Since it is about perceived poor customer service at a music store, I am moving it to Miscellaneous.
  10. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I have to kinda dissagree with you on this one. I have worked in a retail store for over 17 yrs and I have quite a bit of experience in the customer service field. Your remark about his "no intention of buying" is not valid. He mentioned that "today" he was not ready to buy and let me say that just because he was not going to "today" does not mean that he was not ever going to buy it. Many times I have had customers come back for something later because they had to have and item they looked at earlier even if it was not within the price range of which they were willing to spend. Now, there is a line on the abuse factor and being that neither one of of was there we will never know how the bass was being played but just because he was slapping does not mean it's getting abused.

On another note, as mentioned in a previous post about acting or looking like a kid and not getting the customer service they actually deserve, it is unfortunate that people think that way. I remember when I was young (and with very long hair), I have been treated poorly by idiots in stores and I will never forget it either. When I was young I worked a job and was making money in a band and when I went to spend it (usually on something expensive for my age), I was mostly ignored because they thought I was kicking tires and didn't have money. I never bought anything from a store that treated me this way and went elsewhere never to return to that store again. At our store we get younger to older customers that have jobs ranging from a hard working laborer to doctors. Some come in with very filthy cloths to suites depending on their jobs and EVERYONE gets treated the same! Oh, and I still remember how I got treated as a kid and I treat the younger generation as good as I do the older becuase they do remeber how they were treated and it may take some time but they will come back to buy from our store when they do have money because they were treated with respect.

On closing, I really think the store made a huge customer service error and would talk it over with the manager or I would forget buying anything from those idiots altogether.
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Personally, I NEVER "help myself" to a bass and an amp at a music store. If there's something I want to try, I ask for assistance. "Hi. I'd like to try that _____ bass you have on the wall, I'd prefer it through an ________ amp since that's similar to what I use.

That way, THEY take it off the wall, THEY plug it in the amp, and they know you are courteous and interested. I never walk into a store pretending I have some god-given right to grab anything they have without permission, especially some items exceeding a few thousand dollars. Just grabbing things is poor etiquette. I've also noticed that most places prefer to stand over you and supervise, and will answer any questions I might have in the process.

The "Guitar Center" mentality of grab and play yields nothing but scratched and damaged instruments hanging on the wall, and that's why I won't shop there.