Status Halfwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Oct 5, 2002.

1. I won't comment on the sound since they've been on for only six hours, but I gotta say--I think I may be a groundwound man for life at this rate! I love the feel of these strings--they've got the same high tension as the Foderas I love, but are much smoother and easier on the fingers, with virtually no fretnoise.

Any other groundwound/half-wound lovers? We seem to be a minority.
  2. Hey Peter...never tried them but how similar are they to pressurewounds? I sure do like the pressurewounds over roundwounds and get the impression that halfs/grounds are similar in feel at least.
  3. They're similar in feel to pressurewounds, yes, in that they feel very much like Foderas, which are pressurewounds.

The low B isn't quite as focused with these as with the Foderas, but that will probably settle down over time.
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    My last FBB shipped with SIT Silencers which are inverse-wound, pretty much like a half/pressure-wound. Me likey!
    I bought a bunch off ebay and am converting over slowly.

Great feel, great tone.

I did notice a weaker B on my Carvin. Previously had Warwick Black Labels installed. We'll see how it works out, but I really like the SITs on my 4 stringers!
  5. The feel may be great, but the low B is pretty terrible. These are being taken off the FBB. I may try them when I finally get a 4-string fretless--the E, A, D, and G are more than satisfactory, and groundwounds are perfect for a fretless fingerboard.
  6. i've been using D'addario half rounds on my ray5 fretless for about 2 years now and find them to be the perfect marriage between sound and feel, since i've been using them i don't think my fretboard has worn any either.

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Maybe you should contact Status. I've heard of TI sets that occassionally have a dead string, and Thumguy is always more than happy to send a replacement string. Amazing customer service more than makes up for a dead string-especially since TIs sound so great.

Maybe Status will do the same. If it's just the B string that sounds weak, it could be a bad one. If they'll send you a replacement B string, it might sound like the rest of the set that you are happy with. Can't hurt to try.
  8. Fabulous. High tension, so I had to tighten the truss rod, but the action's even lower now than it was with the stock rounds.

The sound? Thicker and a little more traditional-sounding than light-gauge nickel rounds. No finger noise, lots of mwah, but just...burlier.

The nice thing is, as they go dead, they'll sound better and better.