Status Kingbass Info

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazlo Panaflex, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    I just found out about this unusual gem. Anyone have any price/info on this bass?

Also for people who have played it, what kind of sound does it have? Could i get a Precision sound out of it with the right configuration?
  2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I've played a couple of them - very nice instruments. I assume you're in the US, I've no idea what they cost there, but over here the standard bolt-on model I played cost £1299. The sound is fairly typical Status - extremely hi-fi, punchy and quite warm for a graphite-necked instrument. You can get an approximation of a P-Bass sound with the neck pickup, but it's going to be quite a bit brighter with more of the trademark Status "clank".
    In terms of feel, the bass has quite a small, symmetrical body, and the neck profile is nice, but very flat. Action is very low and the bass plays very smoothly and quickly. Slapping on it is effortless.

Definitely a very nice bass and worth looking into.

Russ :bassist:
  3. Check out the web site

Status Graphite

From my experience of Status basses, they are great basses to play, super fast graphite necks and a great range of tones, all the basses I've owned were capable of getting a really punchy "finger funk" sound off of the bridge pick up and a clean modern slap sound when both pick ups are used. The tone controls offer a lot of variation due to the large amount of cut and boost offered, not sure about a Precision sound though!
    status offer a lot of custom options with the Kingbass, headed and headless, 19 and 16.5 mm string spacing, bendwell on headless basses for funky harmonic bends, standard and "jazz" type neck widths, LED's, neck thru (artist) and Bolt on (standard) and a range of finishes.

Rob Green is a good bloke to deal with, customer support is excellent even for those who own basses that were made in the eighties.

Like I said at the start, check the website, you also see the odd bass on E-bay, not very often though!

4. Good morning XO, looks like we were typing away at the same time!

5. I have one of these, an Artist model 32" scale with bendwell.
    I bought it on a rare whim but I haven't regretted it.
    I have arthritis in my fingers and having this bass is a relief when I'm having one of my "bad" days.

Everything the guys above said.
    Very easy to play, super punchy sound but with surprising subtlety.
    Great for slap (of course) but equally good for fingerstyle.
    Very versatile eq and fabulous build quality.

Oh yes Rob and Dawn are great to deal with too.

6. Me like this one very much:
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I'm just wondering, why try to get P bass tone from a super modern, active electronic, graphite necked bass designed for a clean, highly tweakable sound? Is the P sound in that bass, probably, but you can yourself save a lot of money and get a P bass or something with a P bass pickup.

Not trying to discourage you; I think the P bass tone is great, but this bass is designed for a fast slapper (MArk King) to be a slap machine, It's kind of like using a Camaro to win a bike race.

At the end of the day it's your decision, so you choose however you want. :D I hope you get the bass you want :D
  8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I snagged a Kingbass Standard (34" scale, bolt-on graphite, mahogany body, rosewood cap) last year off ebay - NOS from a music store that was having trouble moving it, for $1250. Easily the best deal I ever made on a modern upper end instrument. Construction is first rate and I agree with the sound assessment. VERY punchy - I generally have the mids cut to get the sound I want. Those pickups are output monsters. If you're a slapper, it's the deal. I'm not and it's still the deal. I have Status flats on it and it is fat and thick with great definition. This is the standard Kingbass neck shape - a flat profile, but think Fender C for width. The 32" is a touch narrower I believe but not interchangeable - you'd have to get it from the gitgo.

Rob is terrific to deal with too, answering any queries personally and in great detail, whether about basses or a string order. (BTW Status strings are excellent and still a great deal, even with shipping from the UK).

I also agree with abark000 - if you want a P bass sound just get a P bass. This is a modern hi-fi instrument that has a wonderful voice of its own with a broad tone pallette. I have most of the Fender types (P, J, P/J, SCPB and an Elite II P). To me they're apples and oranges (the Elite with active pre comes closest but no cigar).

A top notch bass that's well worth the $$$ and highly recommended.
  9. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    i love Status designs.

at first nano, i didn't like this one.

didn't take long.

i like now!

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I have an S2 classic and it's real gem! The tone is excactly what's described in some posts above. It really cuts live and records great and the electronics are dead quiet even at extreme settings. The output is really hot, so, look out for that if you get that bass. At first I was really shocked but I got used to the output and now I'm happy as clam with that thing.
  11. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

Sweet mother of God is that sweet!!!
    I've always been a huge Mark King fan (even post Level 42) and would love the shot at trying one of those out.