Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Owners/Have-played-ers: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Feb 24, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I was just talking with our man Tripwamsley about my GK, as he is their artist liason (and I'm not really an artist, but I digress). He said to talk to him if I were interested in Alembic, Zon or Status...

Well, ever since I saw the Status Stealth, well, my low frequency has been rumbling, ya dig? And I bet it rules, but after checking out the website, I think I'd be into the S2 Classic a bit more as it has a Mid control and is a bit more exciting than just a plain color.
    Anyway, back to the matter. I take very few things in life seriously, but basses are the top of that list. I will do wild and crazy things to get what I believe rules and would make me very happy. So far, my Modulus Q5 is keeping me happy... but I've been told that a Status would make me even happier. This is why I'm posting this...
    I don't have $3000. To be more precise, I don't have JACK! So I can't just buy one and test them A vs. B. I also don't happen to reside in a part of the world that has any Status dealers, users or whatnot. So I'd hope that the Status owners and fans may shed some light on the situation.

If you were in a room, had the Status 5 string S2 and the Modulus EMG BQC Q5, what would the difference be? Does the benefits of one outweigh the other? I happen to really like the EMGs, will the Hyperactive setup make me giggle like a schoolgirl? If I play one, will it consume my life until I own it? HELP!!! GAS... Overpowering...credit cards... in extreme danger!!!

(And please... No Bart talking and keep Zon references to comparing to Modulus and Status)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have played a Status Stealth and a lot of others - the Bass Centre in London used to have large stocks of them. They are always well made and have fast necks - good playability. But I could never get past the tone - not "warm" enough for me - I just don't like the sound of graphite basses - wood is the sound I like - mostly maple. Graphite just sounds too brittle and cold to me - same with the Modulus basses I tried.

3. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi Rojo,

I'm afraid I can't give you a comparison between Modulus and Status because I've never played a Modulus, but I have played a few Statuses recently.

I've been interested in getting a Status for ages, but after all this time I still haven't had a chance to go to the workshop and try every single model.

I've tried various older Statuses and a brand new 6 string S2 Classic. I didn't want a 6 string but that's all the shop had at the time. I can tell you that this was a quality bass. You can dial in just about any sound you could ask for thanks to the 18v circuit. The neck is fast, solid and responsive with no dead spots and the workmanship is of the highest quality.

You already know the advantages of graphite necks, so given that you've already got a Modulus, I couldn't say if it would be worth you taking the plunge.

I honestly feel that as you want a quality graphite necked bass and live in the US - stick with Modulus. Just as I would only consider a Status. That said, Status customer service is excellent so you can't go wrong either way.

I hope the sound clip helps.

By the way, Status have updated their website recently. Check it out:
    http://www.status-graphite.com

4. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    hmm. The attachment didn't attach?

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I owned a Status 3000 for 9 years. I also played just about every bass Status have made.

I played a modified Flea bass in The Gallery and have played Steve Lawson Q4 and Q6 (both with Lane Poors).

If I had to buy a bass without direction comparision I would go for Modulus. However, I buy gear by trying it, even if it means a road trip, pestering someone at a gig, whatever.

6. Bruce Lindfield

They had a few Flea basses in the Bass Centre a few years ago - worst sound I have ever heard on a bass that expensive!

I liked the comment about dialling in any sound you want - yeah, except the sound of wood!! ;)

The original Stealth was huge and very impressive looking, but just let down by its brittle sound....:(

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I'll point out that this is of course a subjective opinion and the reason why Rojo should try both basses (and I wouldnt be suprised if he bought a Zon). You can never tell what you like until you try it in all it's variations.

I went to by a Wal and got a Status
    I set my heart on a Jazz V and bought a EBMM
    I hated Warwicks until I bought mine

8. Bruce Lindfield

I loved Warwicks until I tried one and have hated every one I've tried since!! ;)

Same with Wals!!

9. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    DAMN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN!!! It makes it so difficult to make this decision.

Now don't get me wrong here... I LOVE graphite necked basses. But I stilll have a Warwick that I got 6 years ago. The Modulus I have sounds great and I can dial in all sorts of tone. It may not growl as much as pure wood, but I can make it WARM. It just takes getting used to.

The Status vs Modulus "Fight card" stacks up pretty evenly: Both have ABM Bridges, 18v electronics, Longer scales, 24 frets, Gotoh tuners. From what I gather, the biggest reasons to get a Status for me at this point are the custom made electronic setup, the fact that no one has one in Cleveland, OH, and the exotic woods they use (Maple/mahog with laminate layer vs. maple over alder). And the whole reason this got started, I guess, is that Trip said that "They are more alive sounding than a Modulus."

Well, that and a significant discount. If it turns out that they are as good as I hear they are and would kill my Modulus, I wouldn't want to pass up the opportunity to snag one at a sweet price. Plus, there is a Stealth II at Bass Northwest for $1699 used, which is a hell of a deal that couldn't be beat new!

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    It might be worth jumping on a plane to England with that Modulus and taking a Stealth home.

;)

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    What's a ticket cost on the Concord these days? (Not that I ever knew) :confused:

Another problem (sorta): A store in Seattle has a Stealth II 5 string for $1700. That would basically be ignoring the discount I'd get on a new one, but the list on that bass is $3600 or something like that. It's the natural woven graphite one, too, so it looks extra cool. How do the stealth and S2 compare?

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Local pawn shop has a Status S2 Classic 4 string. Pretty nice. Action is currently a bit high and I haven't played it through an amp but maybe I'll go back and do that some day. Sounds good acoustically. They're asking 899.00 and appears to be in pretty good condition. A couple of tiny nicks.
    Nice lookin'.

brad cook

13. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, talk them down! Buy it! Put it on Ebay! What woods and is it headed or headless?

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Maybe I will some day. It could be there a while...who knows. Then again..maybe it's already gone.

brad cook

edit Oh yeah...it's headed.

15. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, I mentioned both. I'm starting to lean towards the Stealth II because I just got the price list and even at a great deal, the new S2 is a bit lofty.

Thanks for the responses so far.

16. Bruce Lindfield

"Concorde" is incredibly expensive - all first class!! :eek: You could be looking at $8,000 for a round trip between US and London!!

I would go for the cheapest ticket on the slowest plane! ;)

17. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well let's see, I have this canoe...

18. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I currently own a Status Energy 5 (wooden neck) which I love but recently owned a Status Empathy 5 (graphite). The Empathy was world class in construction and playability, some of the best fret work on the planet. It had HyperActive PU's with an 18 volt preamp. The tone controls were easily the most versatile I've owned, from a straight P bass sound to a traditional J tone, to tones never before heard. It had a very comfortable neck profile, great action, a beautiful finish and sustain for years. I loved everything about it but the graphite so I traded it off for a Brubaker which I just sold. ;)

The dude I traded with has it up for sale at the following link:

http://pub41.ezboard.com/fthedudepitfrm3.showMessage?topicID=5551.topic

It's a smokin deal on a great bass in like new condition (at least when I owned it 3 wks ago ;) ) and Jim is a great guy to deal with.

Mike

19. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Okay, for all of those still with me here:

Is there a huge difference in tone between the Empathy and the S2 classic (headed)? There's a difference in scale length (34 vs 34.75) and I know it helps to be longer :D However, neck thru graphite construction is quite a stable foundation. What (if any) are the other differences?

Also, I'm trying to search the net for info, pics, classifieds, etc. Yahoo and Excite aren't very good because the words "status" and "empathy" show up in a lot of places that aren't bass related. What's a killer search engine that doesn't pick up so many dating services?