Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status S-2 Classic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nate 0 jt, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Is there anyone out there that has one? I have been considering a S-2 6-string. How do they sound compared to wood-necked basses? other graphite-necked basses? Are they neck heavy? Im just trying to investigate some options so any feedback is welcome and appreciated. Thanks a lot, nate

2. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I have a Classic S2 5 string.

First of all, mine feels like it's carved out of stone. Very solid. It's like you could use it for a baseball bat. When I play my Dean Edge after playing the Status, it feels like it's made of balsa wood.

It's pretty heavy though, but well balanced.

The sound is very clear. When you hit a chord, all the notes can be heard. The slap tone is very good. Bunch of EQ options. Pretty good sustain, and the B string is very tight. Did I say it had a clear sound?

Build quality is pretty high as well.

But it's a little different though. I'm still trying to figure stuff out and the action is a little high for me, but I'm happy with my purchase.

There are a few others on the board that have one, so you'll be hearing more stuff.

3. how heavy? the website says 6-9 pounds which doesnt really narrow it down much. Would the headless option reduce the weight much? Thanks nate

4. LuoLi

LuoLi

Apr 2, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I would say it's closer to 9lbs. Don't know about the headless option. But it depends on the body wood.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I have to say that the S-2 classic 5-string headless 35" scale was one of if not the finest bass guitars I've played, and almost purchased. I still beat myself up a bit for not getting it. It is not a flyweight bass, it's solid. If you don't have a dislike for graphite, and I don't, you will like this bass. The setup and the action on the bass I tried was very good, and extremely low and buzz free. the fretwork was by far the best I have seen on a bass guitar. Also, the headless design was done right, in my opinion, allowing you to use conventional strings as well as double ball strings.

I'd like to tryout the all graphite Stealth too, if I get the chance.

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I don't own an S-2, but I did have the opportunity to play Trip Wamsley's (if you can, check him out at www.tripwamsley.com ...wow...scary) and was VERY impressed. His is one of the headless ones, and it balances perfectly. I didn't find it heavy at all (6-7lbs), it played like a dream and sounded great. I would definitely consider owning one, if I weren't broke!!!! :(

7. Hey Gard: The spelling is Trip Wamsley (no h)!

Trip's site :D

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have also found they're not heavy, and definitely have a wide range of tones, warmer than other graphite basses I've played by Modulus. To me, the upper mids get a little harsh on them if you aren't careful, but that's also a characteristic of Modulus, just to a lesser degree than Modulus, IME.

I'd definitely consider buying one in the future, but it's not currently on my short list. I've got other priorities, bass-wise. Still, Status basses are very fine instruments, very well constructed, with every last little bit of attention to detail. Rob Green definitely knows what he's doing!

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Whoops! Thanks...hope Trip don't see my fourcup...:eek: :D