Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status Shark+J or U-retro???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emre03, Oct 26, 2003.

1. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    Hi;
    This one is both a pickups and bass question but its mostly about pus and eq...
    I recently saw and play a Status Shark which has one humbucker in p position with an passive eq. Its plays INCREDIBLE and sounds pretty cool(beats the hell out of my cort). I think i'll sell my cort and buy this axe.
    But then i wouldn't have an active bass in my collection....
    So here are my questions: What kind of a pickup does a status shark have? How good is it? If i were to add an active pu, should i add j-retro or u-retro and why? And last how does an passive pu+active eq combination sound???
    Thanks...

2. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    i used to own a one pickup status shark. The pickups are stock hyperactives. I guess you could fit an EMG BTC preamp in. I never tried.

Currently I have a Status Energy Artist 5 and I replaced the original preamp with EMG BTCs. No problem!

I guess theres no harm trying but be sure to check if there's space under the pickguard to accomodate a battery or else you may have to rout.

If I'm not wrong, the J-retro comes mounted on a metal plate that's supposed to drop right into a standard jazz bass cavity. Assuming the cavity of the shark bass is big enough, you still have to make modifications to the 1 piece pickguard.

Hope this helps

Steve

3. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    I will have it routed and modifyed anyway, i dont like the pickguard. My main objective isn't fitting anything in current shape, i'll have it reshaped if necessary, i'm only concerned about the tone. What about the pickups? and which one shuold i choose the j rtro or u retro. (concerning pus and tone) and by the way can ý remove the metal plate of j retro????
    thanks....

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    J Retro and U Retro are exactly the same preamp. The only difference is that the J Retro is mounted on a standard jazz control plate and the U Retro has the pots and switches attached to the board via cables.

If your hole spacing is correct, you can remove the jazz control plate from a J Retro and use it on any control plate or pickguard with enough space routed behind it.

If you have any questions about the J and U Retros, the best place to get answers is the J Retro Forum at The Dudepit.

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    The other difference between the J & U Retros is that the U-Retros have 8mm long pot shafts and the J-Retro's have 6mm long pot shafts.

The U's are designed to fit in rear routed basses (thus the longer pot shafts to fit through the thicker body top)