Status shark with kahler or palmbender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, Dec 31, 2002.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    STATUS Shark Bass - 5-string s/h £ 475.00

in sea foam green with Kahler 5 tremelo (or) Palmbender included.Rosewood fingerboard, in excellent condition. £475.

well thats the advert. what do these basses look like? does anyone have a snap? also, what do you think it means by 'palmbender'? it says it as if you cant have whatever it is with the kahler too. any feedback on this bass? what pickups? graphite reinforced neck? any info please! should I go for it? im only getting it for fun (always wanted a bass w/tremlo) and already have 3 superb basses, so not too worried if its not 'perfect'. cheers.
  2. Shark bass
    5-string, alder body
    Black gloss lacquer
    Maple neck, plain fretless rosewood fingerboard
    Active E.Q. with treble/bass, cut/boost
    Chrome hardware

Info can be found Here
  3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks a lot, very helpful. Looks pretty nice IMHO. just emailed the shop for more info on the particular model theyre selling.
  4. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    They sent me this pic (plus two others)

Im very tempted, but just concerned the pickup is too near the neck? anyone played one?
  5. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've only played one unplugged, but it sure felt great, like all the Status i've played. Very fast and comfortable neck, big but ergonomic body... The Shark model is supposed to have a more traditional sound than the other models, which have quite a modern sound.
  6. I've only played a few unplugged, so I can't comment on how they sound. But, about your pick up concerns, just think of it as a P-bass.
  7. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Bugger Ive got a p-bass. so the slap sound is quite p-bass-ish then? No musicman sounding slap tone? It doesnt look THAT far away from the bridge, does it?! HAS ANYONE TRIED ONE PLUGGED IN?!?!
  8. Doesn't seem like it, but try posting your question on the Status yahoo group: You must become a member before posting, but that's a piece of cake.
    You could also pop Rob Green, the maker himself, an email. He's said to be a nice, approachable guy, and should be able to give you all the answers you need.
    Good luck!
  9. [​IMG]

is that an EMG pickup on it?
    it doesn't look like the standard Status Hyperactive soapbar pickup.
    also it looks like they've put EMG active EQ in there too- Status fitted chrome knobs to Shark basses.

re. the tone, I once tried the original passive Shark bass (4string version)- it sounded vaguely like a Fender Jazz with the bridge p/up soloed - no spongy Musicman bite or P-bass high-mids either.

but with the EMG p/up and EQ, who knows what it sounds like- for a start the p/up could be a P, J or humbucker configuration.
  10. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Ok i wil try posting on that forum, cheers. Yes it is an emg humbucker, im guessing it was replaced along with the kahler, unless the trem was factory installed. thanks for the info on the sound, i was hoping someone wound say it sounded like that...

I will let everyone know what happens!