Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status stingray with too much bite?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Oct 8, 2005.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Any ideas what would be this best pickup/eq circuit for my stingray 4 bass with status neck? Sounding a tad on the bright side and slightly harsh. Any feedback on bartolini or basslines and which one would offer me a more of a controlled rounded sound that was not so harsh.

cheers

2. JohnnyRook

JohnnyRook

Jul 1, 2005
    Hi!

I had the same problem with my Stingrays' original neck. Way too harsh and metallic sounding for a frettless.
    I'm not sure wether just changing the PU or electonics will solve this issue, I doubt it.
    As for my instrument I had replaced the neck with a Moses graphite (again frettless). It really looks like the neck is the source of the problem. As a result it now sounds very warm, singing and with endless sustain. Even the guys at the workshop were surprised.
    Unfortunately, I have no experience with the Status necks but since you seem to be into graphite anyway you might give Moses a try.

cheers
    -JR

3. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    I run an SR5 with a Status neck. I fitted a Nordstrand MM5.3. It's currently running in parallel coil mode as I haven't sorted out the coil switching yet. Being Alnico magnets the Nordstrand has that older Ray sound to it. It seems to complement the Graphite neck rather well and gives a nice growly sound. Oh and the pre-amp is an OBP3, at the moment.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    If it were me, before I did anything else, I'd make a passive style tone control and add it in a small box before the amp input. I have all the parts to hand and can make it myself so it's a no cost option. If that didn't provide a satisfactory solution, I'd then look at other options such as new pickups or pre's.