Status vs. the other guys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Low8, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I recently received the opportunity to play a Status bass for the first time (two of them actually)... and the experience was impressive.

After previously owning Modulus basses, I found the Status necks to be sooooooo much more solid... not heavy... just solid, like it would hurt if you got whacked with one. Whereas Modulus and Steinberger necks have always felt a little plasticky to me.

I owned a Frankenbass with a Moses neck more than 20 years ago and it, too, had a more solid feel than any Modulus or Steinberger neck I've ever encountered.

But the Status basses topped them all in terms of a solid feel. YMMV. Their necks also had incredible, beautiful, gloss finishes that were simply gorgeous.

Can anyone with the knowledge or insight please explain how the carbon fiber production techniques of Status differ from those used by the other guys?

Just when I thought I had graphite necks out of my system, Status is pulling me back in! :D

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I don’t know but you could put an original Steinberger between 2 chairs and stand on it in the middle. I would not want to get whacked by that neck.

Bob_Ross and Low84 like this.
  3. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    I have had over 10 of their necks and what I know from having placed custom orders is that they are hollow.

They have a 'foam' inner core that is surrounded by the interwoven carbon graphite cloth/material and that is then placed into a mould and filled with the resin that sets it hard. So they feel and sound a little 'hollow' compared to some of the others out there.

The outer finish is a polyester lacquer which they also offer in a matt finish too.

Fantastic necks and Rob Green / Dawn are a pleasure to deal with.

My only advice is don't expect them to totally eliminate dead spots because they don't. And also you will have to expect very small cracks at each of the fret ends -after time. I have seen this on EVERY Status bass I have ever owned or played. Basically as the fret metal expands and contracts from temperature changes, it causes the outer finish to crack very slightly.

Peace,

Rob.

Low84 likes this.
  4. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Thanks for all the info, Rob! Good stuff.

5. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    You might want to check into Zon basses as well if there is some type of quest your on but I honestly swear by Zon's the phenowood fingerboard is a nice warmth to it that isn't harsh, even response across the entire fingerboard.
    I have a Zon Legacy Elite VI and this bass is just simply incredible.

www.zonguitars.com

bdgotoh likes this.
  6. roogbass

roogbass

Feb 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Eich endorser.
    I had 4 in the past, now i have a streamline 5-string.
    Never experienced the cracks you speak of.
    Fantastic basses, very constant sound and feel.
    When you play them ‘solo’ you might think they don’t sound inspiring, but in a busy mix they stand their ground better than my other basses.

bdgotoh likes this.
  7. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    How many years have you had them for?

Maybe you've been incredibly lucky and me, not so much! :laugh:

8. Felix Lopez

Felix Lopez Mettā

May 15, 2018
    2D37923D-5953-4D24-9FCB-DA5CAD623F6F.jpeg

9. Gunga Din

Gunga Din

Jun 22, 2018
    Status is a carbon weave, whereas Steinberger is poured into a mould, i think

10. So badly want a Status :drool:. Thanks to rojo412.

11. gwangi

gwangi

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    IMG_0423.JPG

Now I have two!!!!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021