Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Status

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowtom, Jul 15, 2005.

1. lowtom

lowtom

Jul 12, 2005
    What are your experiences with it? i love the sound and the look, its just a perfect bass

*dreamingofa5stringstatuswithtraceelliotamp* :D

2. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    anyone have any mp3 (or wav) demo's of a status? they are mighty rare in the US and i've never had the chance to try one.

-ugo

3. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hey
    I've owned several Status basses over the years.....I currently have a Status Empathy 4 which I've owned for 4yrs.

I absolutely love them.....they do have a unique sound and feel which you will either love or hate
    More punch than you will ever need, tone completely even across the board, sustain for days, and , on the graphite neck models, no dead spots.

Its a low maintenance bass too...never affected by weather changes....no truss rod to adjust (although newer models have truss rods I think?) Mine was setup perfect on delivery, and I've never needed to alter it.....Super low action possible.

I would certainly describe it as an ultra modern tone. I sometimes crave a more vintage type tone and for this reason, I'm in the market for a good Jazz....but I don't think I'll sell the STATUS.

I also used the Status with Trace gear for years, although not at present. They were a great combination and seemed to complement eachother nicely.

Good Luck!

Oz

4. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

I totally dig mine..... :bassist:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This says it all really. Status basses have a very distinctive sound and character all their own. This is why the love/hate reference is probably true. They definitely are fantastic high end basses. comparable to anything else out there in terms of overall quality. I love mine! But Ozbass is right, they DON'T do "vintage" - the character of the sound is pronounced and always "there" regardless of what you do with EQ, etc. Not a bass to buy without trying for yourself, but if you find one you like, buy it or you will never sleep restfully again! ;)

EDIT - ugo, I'm thinking of recording some sound clips of mine pretty soon. I'll keep you posted.

6. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    My Status Electro might be the exception to the "they don't do retro" thing.
    A chambered body with an incredibly playable maple neck stabilised by a graphite strip, piezo bridge and single humbucker - tones galore!
    A truly elegant and solid build sets it up as hands down the best bass I have ever played. I'm lucky... I wish more players could try one out, but then again, I like being unique!

7. lowtom

lowtom

Jul 12, 2005
    yeah pls ...!!!!!!!

do you think status is worth the money? Some say its too expensive.

Especially the active electronics rule! ;)

never heard a basssound like status, well sometimes warwick gets close to it, i heard that status and warwick worked together for some reason? was it the body perhaps. don´t know, don´t know where i heard it either :(

for me status is the perfect sound for every type of music.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Not too expensive at all.
    I'd like to get a custom built, and as much as I love my Alembics, I'd go with a Kingbass or Stealth as Statuses are superb and considerably cheaper (I know they're not exactly equivalent). Or perhaps a Sei Flamboyant. I've got couple of basses that do the 'vintage' thing well enough if I need that.
    I love the tone and feel of my S2000 Status.

9. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    There are huge differences between newer and older Statusbasses. I'm talking about the ones with graphite neck:
    Older ones don't have trussrods, and a 34 scale. The preamp also differs, as it has a very pronounced high end.
    Newer Statusbass sport a 35 scale neck, do have trussrods and the preamp has been modified to give a stronger bottom end.
    But beware: there is more than one preamp available, I prefer the simplest one, just volume, pan and a preset highs cut/enhance. This gives simple operation during gigs on dark stages, the slightest alternation of the pan or cut/enhance pot allows for very different tones. Left alone in their center position you can go from fingerstyle (pizz) to slap and pop. And it always sounds good.
    The new necks with trussrod are not that immune against climate changes but a quick adjustment via the trussrod gives you the same playability as before.
    Note: the trussrod does not follow the righty-tighty, lefty-loosy adjustment, it is vice versa.

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    True, except for the pronounced high end. My S2000 is similar in design to the Stealth, ie all carbon monocoque.
    The headless are 34" and the headed 34.75".
    Mine has no trussrod, and NEVER moves.

11. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    As far as I know the S2000 is not one of the new lines Status builds.
    And you can have the headless one also with a 35(34.75) scale.

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I never said it was, but mentioned it was similar in design to the Stealth to point out that it is carbon, and not one of the wooden construction Statsues.
    The original question was "Status: What are your experiences with it?" which I took to mean all Statuses, not just the current ones. According to some users on the Status Yahoo group (and others I've spoken with) that have used both the newer and older constructions, the older are superior. Though I don't want to take business away from Rob, secondhand may be a better option for many purchasers, and the older models should not be discounted.
    Really? OK. It's not on their spec sheet or price list, and it would make finding double ball strings difficult, though you could just use single ballends and the string clamps.

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I had one of the first Series 2000 basses back in about 1985. It was a great instrument. As you say, no truss rod. Unfortunately I had to sell the bass when I went back to college and I've regretted it ever since - at least, until now. I recently got an S2 Classic and it seems every bit as good as the older bass, so I don't necessarily agree with the "older is better" school of thought. Rob Green is dedicated to constantly improving his basses. In particular I think the new pickups and electronics are amongst the best I've come across on any bass.

The newer basses do have truss rods. I think this is to give a wider range of options for setup as some players like more relief in the neck profile than others.

I think a Status represents good value for money. You could spend a lot more without getting a "guaranteed to be better" bass. All the options for scale length, electronics, etc are on the Status website www.status-graphite.com but I've also found Rob happy to do custom builds to spec.

14. I traded my custom-built headless Empathy2 4-string almost 4 years ago towards my first Wal. It was a great bass. I would buy another, but probably the Kingbass Artist now (damn you, Horny Toad :) ).

It certainly didn't seem to need a trussrod, even with our silly local climate. The neck was amazingly stable and the instrument needed tuning only very rarely. It was light and well-balanced. The preamp had a bit of hiss, but the bass spoke with piano-like clarity throughout the range. It didn't do the "vintage thing" as well as some other basses, but it had modern tones in spades and was extremely playable.

15. ugo

ugo

Jan 8, 2005
    Northern VA
    Sound Design Coordinator, Camel Audio | Designer, Ugo Audio
    cool, please PM me if you do record some clips. i'd love to hear it. :)

-ugo

16. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I'll second that.

17. I've only just taken delivery of my new Kingbass artist (yesterday).It is a fantastic instrument.I have to agree that it has a distinctive tone, but isn't that true of all truly great instruments - Alembics,Wals,Pedulla,Zon etc.They certainly aren't expensive especially if you consider the price of other handbuilt custom basses.I really would recommend trying one bassplayers like Mark King,John Entwistle and Jonas Hellborg can't all be wrong can they. :hyper:

Attached Files:

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a headless Stealth 5 and recently sold a headed S-1 to a buddy. They're not exactly cheap but, considering the features / construction, they're a great value. My Stealth is fairly recent and sports a truss rod unlike earlier models. Surprisingly, some Status truss rods work oppositely of each other (CW vs CCW) to set relief.

Riis