Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stay four ? Maybe 5 or even 6 ? *gasp*

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Ok right now I have a ESP and have been playing for about 14 months with lessons for about half of that. Five and six strings keep becomming more appealing because they open more possibilities. I worry about a five string because I mostly play by myself or a few buddies so I think maybe using a EADGC tuning although the low B allows the octive range. Because of this I think to myself , "Why not search for a six string this way you have a low B and a high C, it will be versitile."

This is where the problem comes in, I have somewhat small hands but think I can adapt. I know Peavey Cirrus's work well with people who have small hands but I worry about enough space for slapping although I am sure it can be perfected.

The limit I would want to go up to is $1,500 max. So I ask the great people of TB to help me with a minor decision.

Stay at four (dont really see why to for a next bass)
    Go for a 5 with BEADG
    Go for a 5 with EADGC
    Or if some people can recommend some 6 stringers for a small hand man like myself I will try them out also.

I probably won't go searching for a while but I want to get a head start. I'm going to try out all my options but am searching for opinions.

-Quak

2. The only advice I can offer....is try before you buy. You said that you think you can adapt...but are you really sure? I myself have 3 4-stringers, and 1 5-string. I still find myself using the 4's more because of the faster neck, and I find a 5 a little more cumbersome to play overall. All of this is, of course, my opinion...

3. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I only have 2 basses and both of them are 4s. I started out with an Ibanez BTB 515 5 stringer, and although the added low end was nice. I found the need to mute the B string all the time a pain. I went back to 4s and for the music I want to play, 4 is plenty.

Be sure that your musical interests really need the 5, and aren't being seduced by a lot of possibilities that you don't really need.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yes, try them before you buy them for sure! I started on a four, got a five, now a sixer. I feel the same as you. I love my six, i has narrow string spacing just how I like, I have it tuned low B. I've been playing for 16 months and instead of a 6 string being too much I found it opened my eyes with bass playing and theory. But if your can't find one thats comfy to play just wait. One will come your way, there are so many manufacturers out there. I got a Washburn xb600. I am currently upgrading all the electronics, bridge, but the body and neck are perfect for small hands.

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Just shop around for a used cirrus and make sure you get a good deal. Take care of it. If it doesn't work out for you you can get your money back out of it.

Don't worry about having small hands, playing bass has much more to do with hand dexterity than hand size. I've met many a guitarist that wished they had smaller hands.

6. Thanks for all the replies. The thing is I can see myself using a high C even when playing with others rather then using a low B. I have always found my E to be low enough and with the right bass/amp combination I can get the E to sound deep enough.

7. Just remember no more wimpy Eb's and D's.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im in a similiar boat, but not. I havent considered buying a 5 or a 6 really, but i have always been intrigued by them. It bothers me when i want to learn a dream theater song or something and my bass doesnt have an adequate range. A 6 string would be nice to own. If i did buy one, im pretty sure it would be a Brice. I dont think i will though, because i have other things to save for, but i think a 6 is a handy thing to have, especially for soloing or what-have-you.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Another cool thing Mr.QQ is I learned a bunch of tunes on a four stringer, a lot were in drop D tuning. I don't know how long youhave been playing but I'm still learning to say the least, but it was cool relearning these tunes on my 5 and 6ers because it taught me a lot about the fretboard and stuff like that whcih helped my overall playing.

10. I think once I gather up around $1k I'll go around trying 5 and 6's to see if I like any, if not I will stick to four.

I appreciate all the help guys.