1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

stay or go?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by allanmac00, Apr 3, 2006.

1. allanmac00

allanmac00 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Is it bad form for me to leave a band I've been with for 3-4 months. They are starting to get real gung-ho about the band, which I feel very bored with. I get the sense that they would not be ok with me playing in other bands, and I'm not that thrilled about the music we're playing. Their seriousness is making me feel uncomfortable. They love my playing (they called off their other auditions after mine), but I'm afraid that if I don't get out now, it will make it harder in the future. I'm getting decent offers from other musicians who I would much rather play with, and they're closer to where I live. I'm basically getting to a point, without sounding smug, where I can really choose who I want to play with. Should I cut ties with these guys?

2. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Do you feel they are actually going places or is it more hype?

Do you want to go there with them if they are going places?

My feeling would be, if it does not feel right and you believe a better fit could be found elsewhere, try seeing if you could take a month or so break from them and try out these other avenues.

3. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Heck no! it's a hobby, not your job! if you're not happy, move on. Nothing worse than being in a band with someone who is not 100% behind the venture. Do yourself AND them a favor, and move on.

4. If you are not into it you probably need to go. Not only are you doing yourself no good by staying, but ultimately you are not helping them either. Even if your playing is fine, if your heart is not in it, people will pick up on that vibe and it will work against the band as a whole.

--tz

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Don't lead them on. Be pro though and give 2-3 weeks notice.
    If they ask why, be honest about it.

DCat,

6. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Do yourself both a favor and give them notice, and if possible agree to play for as long as they need to get a replacement, within reason.