Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Staying comfortable while practicing

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jaswine85, May 21, 2003.

1. So do any of you guys get really uncomfortable while practicing? I practice in a weave chair and it starts to get really uncomfortable. All the comfortable chairs have arm rests! Where do you guys practice to stay comfortable and be able to practice for longer periods of time? Maybe i should buy a futon...

2. Toilet, then I can get two things done at once, and besides, Im not much of a reader.

3. I practice sitting on the couch.

When I become uncomfortable, just lay down on
    the bed and practice while watching TV.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I recomend using the most comfortable chair available to you - kitchen (type) chairs are best IMO. If you become uncomfortable sitting on the chair, how about practicing while standing? Then when you get in to a band situation at some point and realize you'll need to perform while standing, you won't have to get used to it at that point. I would never practice while laying on a bed or while watching t.v. - both very bad ideas IMO. FWIW I do over half of my practice standing...I'm just more comfortable playing while standing.

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I also practice on the couch. It is comfy, and in the middle of it there are no armrests to get in my way. It is also a good idea to practice standing, though I am not really a big fan of that.

6. I almost always stand up when I play. If not I sit on a chair or my couch.

7. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I get quite uncomfortable sometimes while practicing. I mainly practice sitting down because I can't stand on my feet for long. I sit on an adjustable office chair with a back rest. I have it adjusted the lowest it can go so my feet can touch the floor.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84933

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

When I first started playing bass guitar it was very hard to get a comfortable way to practice. I gradually discovered that I had to have a chair with a comfortable back.

Sitting on a stool was not satisfactory because my feet had no support and the seat cut off circulation in my legs. I did discover I could stand up and lean against the stool. That worked well.

My eventual favorite way to practice is to sit on the sofa. It was the most comfortable in the long run. I can also set music instruction books on the sofa beside me or set up a music stand in front of me. Also I can have a stereo on the table beside the sofa, so that if I am learning a song or playing along with one, it is handy to control the CD or tape.

But I feel at least a good part of practice should be done standing up because most gigs will require that you stand to play. As a bass guitar is heavy, you need to get used to standing for an hour or longer with it. When I was in a nu-metal band, I even practcied jumping around and moving around alot as I played, so that I could be comfortable doing that on stage.

In short, I have found the most comfortabale seat for seated practice is one with a good back to support your back and one that allows your feet to rest on the floor. Even a simple sturdy metal folding chair could serve that purpose, but no chair arms, please.

9. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    People state that most gigs require you to stand. Is this generally referring to rock gigs? I mean, I do agree that it is commonplace to be expected to stand, but as far as I'm concerned, there are a lot of places where a stool/chair is entirely appropriate for a gig.

Anyone care to enlighten me through more thorough experience out in the world.

10. Laying down works, but gets to the point where you can have a hard time playing. Just stand up. Play your bass relatively high... and wear a wide strap.

Or, sit on something low (8-12 inches from the floor). Your legs'll be at a good angle so that the bass doesn't slide away and you can still play as long as there're no arm rests. Try building a box from wood or something.

11. I use a bar stool with a back. That way the bass hangs down at its normal height. I alternate between that and standing.

Mike Dimin had a great post on organizing a practice session and one's practice space.

Here is the Link

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Bar stool mainly. But also, anything around. Sofa, chair, standing, small flotation devices.

13. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    My practice space is combined within my home office...I just traded office chairs with my wife and gave her the one with the arm rests and took hers that didn't have any...the seat is a little harder, but now I have one less chair in my fairly cramped space, and so far, it's working out pretty fine. In a couple of weeks, a brand new office chair that's a bit more comfortable (sans armrests, of course) is just going to magically appear in my "home studio" as I call it...I wonder if my wife will notice...:bassist:

14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I sit on a stool I got at the local dept. store for $10.