1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

STD Fender Control plate on a Squier Vintage Modified 70's JB

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DamienMTL, Mar 28, 2015.

1. DamienMTL

DamienMTL

Mar 27, 2015
    Montreal QC
    Hi,
    I recently bought a 2014 left handed Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass.

I watched few topics on TB.com about fitting a new pickguard on it. It seems that the pickguard and control plate of the old "Duncan Design" jazz bass are not the same as the current ones.
    BTW The DD one has a sharp/pointy VEE side and the current one has a rounded seam like the fender.

Then, I ordered a pearloid pickguard in UK and I was really surprised because it's fitting perfectly every holes and the neck pocket of my actual bass. No mod, no shaving to do at all!

The only little difference is on the width of the "VEE" side of the plate.
    The stock Squier plate as a "VEE" side width of 69.5mm (about 2-3/4"), and the "VEE" side of the new pickguard is 67.5mm (about 2-5/8") so the plate is wider than the pickguard and the connection is not perfect.

P1170057.
    P1170060.

I ordered CTS pots to set up a V/B/T control plate, I know the holes are not the same.
    SO I have to buy a fender US standard control plate for my new setup but I want to be sure about the "VEE" width so that it matches perfectly with my new pickguard.

> That would be so nice if someone could confirm the Fender US control plate "VEE" width.

thanks in advance ;)

2. DamienMTL

DamienMTL

Mar 27, 2015
    Montreal QC
    I answer to my own question.
    The original FENDER US control plate is made for 3/8" holes, the size of the CTS big pots and switchcraft sockets.
    The width at the largest part (across the V) is 69mm