Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Std. vs Fat vs 2x Fat Strat?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Dec 1, 2001.

1. Well I think I have tired of my Squier Fat Strat guitar. Now I want to sell it and buy another one. I'm probably going to stay in the Squier Std. series unless I get much more $ where I'll go to Fender. These are the 3 options I'm considering: get a Standard 3 single coil Strat. (Then I'll have to decide maple v. rosewood...maple is brighter, correct?) Then there is the Fat strat I have now...the humbucker seems out of place with its sound. And there is always the 2x Fat strat with 2 humbuckers, maybe they sound better in pairs? What would you all go for?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Since this is an area for discussing issues relating to Bass Guitars and not Strats, I rather doubt anyone will have much of an opinion.

You might look for a guitar forum.

3. I havent found any decent guitar forums. There are enough guitar playing folk here where I might get a few replies. And I do know that this is a bass site...most of my posts are about them.

4. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    well ....

i dont play guitar ..... but ... my dad just bought a MIM fender strat ... and ive dinked around on that .. and it felt much better than any squier ive ever played. my guitarist ( one of ) just bought a fender MIA double fat ... and he seems to think that its the best strat there is ... his opinion of course ...

if i were you .... id get a MIM fender standard strat. its higher quality then squier, and still affordable. sound pretty good from what i understand. cant go wrong with a fender. unless of course you dont like them .......

5. If I were you...id just go ahead and save for a MIM 2x fat strat.

Or just get 3 single coils and eventually upgrade the bridge pup to a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail, the most rockin single-coiled pickup on the market IMO. I'm about to put one on my Telecaster.

I love the humbucker sound, I don't like using single coils much.

All IMO of course, and good luck! :)