1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steak recipes

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I ate a brilliant steak today. Cooked it myself, a bit crusty on the outside, nice shade of pink inside with a tiny bit of blood in the middle :)

Now, I just cook it natural, my gravy is just the 'juice' of the meat with some water or cream (didn't have any today).

But, I'd like to bring in some variation, so it'd be cool if you'd share your steak recipes with the rest of TB!

Not only BBQ stuff, I don't have one and it's winter anyway :smug:

:)

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If you're feeling adventurous, try frying the steak lightly in chilli oil (or make your own oil based sauce to fry it in). Also, I find a pinch of salt and pepper added during cooking to be beneficial. I havn't really experimented with steak much in the past, but in the future I will probably mess around a bit and see what happens!

I like my steak well done, with crushed peppercorns and some herbs thrown in for flavouring. I'm always on the lookout for good steak (sadly though, you don't get marbling here in the UK, only one farmer in the UK still produces "true" marbled steaks).

3. Okay, here is the masterpiece right here:

-Steak
    -Salt and Pepper
    -A1 Sauce

Good to go!

4. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Winter schminter. I'd grill cornflakes in a blizzard!

I like using Grill Mates or it's sister Grill Creations on my steaks. Either those or just a bit of salt and pepper and A-1. I think you should be able to taste the steak instead of trying to dress it up, IMHO.

5. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Yeahhhhh, buddy! If you have a good steak, it don't need nuthin' else on it. I love A1 sauce.

Cherie :)

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1 there!

A couple of years back me and my dad had to do a BBQ in mid winter, as darkness fell and rain drizzled over us. The wind was bitingly cold, so I had every plate turned up full to put soem heat out. All I can say is thank god it didn't need charcoal to run! Thankfully, the food was excellent and we made surplus to ensure we got a good feed!

7. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    I've fried steak in El Pato sauce, but I like it best when I grill it and add random amounts of Teriyaki, BBQ Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, Ketchup and Garlic. I'm sure some of the sauces cancels eachother out, but it's danged tasty. Especially when the steak is seared on the outside and pink on the inside.

8. whats a1 sauce

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Here's one for the adventurous.
    Fry it with cocoa butter.

You can find it under powder or solid forms in fine groceries.
    You don't need much and it doesn't burn, so you can use a very hot pan. Spread some cocoa butter on both sides of your meat and fry it hot so all the juice stays inside.
    Cocoa butter is a taste enhancer that closes pores in the meat at the same time.

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

A1 sauce? Is there something wrong with the steak?

11. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    BBQ sauce. Way i see it, it's something you use if steak is made badly and/or needs it's taste "fixed"

12. RareBear

RareBear

Oct 30, 2006
    Season salt it, broil it and serve with a bit of bleu cheese dressing and ketchup (not mixed together and not too much of either).

13. froovs

froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    scotland
    cook it for 24 hours, Heston Blumenthal style

sounds insane, but i tried it for my housemates and i last weekend and it was *gorgeous*

THE RECIPES

BLUE-CHEESE-INFUSED BUTTER

250g unsalted butter
    250g stilton

1 Slice the butter and the cheese lengthways into slabs about cm thick.

2 Tear off a large sheet of parchment paper. Place a slice of the butter in the centre and top with a slice of the cheese. Continue stacking alternate slices of butter and blue cheese until all have been used. Wrap tightly, and place in the fridge for at least two days. The flavour improves the longer you leave it.

THE STEAK

Serves 2-4, depending on how hungry you are

1 well-aged, two-bone fore rib of beef (on the bone — ask your butcher) Black peppercorns
    Sea salt
    Smoked sea salt
    Groundnut (peanut) oil

1 Using an oven thermometer, preheat the oven to 50C/120F/Gas Mark .

2 Place the fore rib in a roasting tin. Brown the outside as quickly as possible using a blowtorch. (If it’s not hot enough, the flame will start to cook the flesh. If yours isn’t up to the job, use a very hot pan instead.) Once the meat is browned, place it in the oven. Use a digital probe to establish when the internal temperature of the meat has reached 50C/ 120F (this takes 4–8 hours, depending on the animal; don’t let it go any higher — it will ruin the recipe), then let it cook at this temperature for a minimum of 18 hours. Remove from the oven, cover and leave to rest at room temperature for 2 hours — 4 would be better — it’s important that the meat cools down before it is subjected to the fierce heat of the pan.

3 To prepare the steaks, hold the fore rib upright with the rib bones side on. Run a sharp knife between the meat and the bones, and free what should be an L-shaped piece of meat. Trim off any overly charcoaled exterior. Slice the meat in half vertically to give two steaks, each about 5cm thick.

4 Place a large cast-iron pan over a high heat for at least 10 minutes. Meanwhile, take the blue-cheese-infused butter out of the fridge and remove the cheese. Crush the peppercorns using a pestle and mortar, add a little of the plain sea salt and smoked sea salt, and put this mixture on a plate. Dip both sides of each steak in the seasoning.

5 Add a film of the groundnut oil to the pan and, when it’s smoking, add the steaks. (The surface of each steak needs to be in contact with the pan, otherwise they won’t cook properly. If they overlap, fry one at a time.) Fry for 4 minutes, flipping every 30 seconds. They should develop a nice 1mm brown crust, while the interior should be uniformly pink.

6 Let the steaks rest. Allow the frying pan to cool slightly, then add the flavoured butter and stir to melt it and collect any bits of meat that remain. Pour into a jug.

7 Cut the steaks into diagonal slices. Add a few grindings of black pepper, and a sprinkling of sea salt and smoked sea salt, then drizzle the butter on top. Serve with a dollop of mushroom ketchup and tomato ketchup.

cheers
    Lucy

14. [​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

smiley.

15. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    so many people destroy a perfect piece of meat with marinade and other such garbage...start with a great cut, season with salt (i like kosher or sea salt best) and fresh ground pepper (or just rubbed with peppercorns) to taste and throw it over on the grill...perfection

16. A1 is not just BBQ sauce, it is god-like. I don't like half of the BBQ sauces out there, but A1 is just something else. I do agree with you somewhat that the steak cannot be that good for someone to use A1 to cover it up, but nonetheless, A1 just enhances the taste for me.

17. You got it!!! The only thing you need to do is get a properly aged steak to get the full flavor from the meat.

18. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Oh don't get me wrong, i like A1... I just would never put anything of type on a good steak. :)

19. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Thanks for the recipe- I'll have to try it sometime.

If anyone finds themselves in Seattle with a bit of extra cash (or an expense account), I highly recommend this steak establishment:

http://www.themetropolitangrill.com/

Dry-aged high-quality beef. Delicious.

20. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    You're a good man, Chief and a vet. I knew I liked you for some reason;)