1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steal Of The Year (and question)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Infern0, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    My craigslist steal of the year...

I gave: Musicman 120B head, homemade 110 cab, $140

I received: Ampeg B2-RE rackmount head, Ampeg SVT 410HLF cab

Let me know how I did :)

Also, any tips on pairing two HLFs together? Better or worse than a 810?

2. The B2RE only does 4ohms minimum.

But you did good.

-RTK

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Certainly not bad in my book! Going by Ampeg's site and the posted specs, running two 410HLF's wouldn't be vastly different than an 810E. However, one thing to note is that both a 410HLF and 810E are 4 ohms impedance. Two 410HLF would put you at 2 ohms total impedance (assuming you run them in parallel.) Your head is only rated to run down to 4 ohms so it can only safely run one 410HLF or one 810E.

4. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    So I saw :meh:

Would it be possible to run two HLFs in series to acheive 8 ohms? Is there any feasible way to stack two HLFs? I like the convenience of having two of these cabs instead of one huge 810!

5. Vamposaur

Vamposaur

Jun 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I have that setup! It's pretty cool. If I were you...I would just get another power amp and run preamp out of the b2re into the second power amp. Have the b2re power one hlf and have the second amp power the other hlf. As far as I know, it works well that way. Just an idea.

Oh and stacking the hlfs on their sides on top of each other is how I would do it.

6. the HLF cab is TOTALLY different to the SVT 810E cab. As U already know-it's 4 ohms so U can't run 2 w/ the B2RE & the HLF is DESIGNED to go LOW-REAL LOW, Has a tweeter & is a ported cab. The SVT810E is an ENCLOSED cab & designed to give lotsa punch but NOT give a heap of bottom- The B2RE IMO- sounds fine w/ an Ampeg ported cab, BUT If you want the 2 410 cab set up & one thats similar to the 810 cab- U need the SVT410HE- which IIRC are 8 ohms & sealed.

7. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    Thanks for the responses guys!

As far as using two amps, how exactly does this configuration work?

And rold2005, does this mean that a 2 x HLF combo isn't achievable? :(

8. I dunno- not that I know of - except for the 2 amp way suggested....

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Considering what the 410HLF can garner on the used market plus an amp that works I'd say you're a few hundred bucks ahead of the game.

Personally, I'd much rather trade a B2 and a 410HLF for a Musicman120 and some homemade cab than trade the Musicman plus whatever I can salvage out of the cab for a B2 and a 410 HLF.:)

10. If you run them in series, you will have 16 ohms total load. You could buy two more and then run two sets in series parallel to two sets in parallel for an 8 ohm load, or rewire your cab to be 8 ohms and get another to do the same to. In parallel, divide by 2, in series, add total ohms.

11. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    I thought it was a good trade, a little hesitant to part with my MM120 but all in all I came out ahead.

Has anyone had experience using two HLFs with a SVT 4 PRO?

12. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Some might say the other guy got the good deal with the vintage MusicMan head. It's all point of view.

13. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1. If you re-sell the Ampegs, and get what some people here are thinking are good prices for them, then you've just made a couple hundred bucks. If you re-sell them and don't get good prices, you've broken even. Either way, a vintage Musicman head stomps all over a B2RE any day of the week. The MM head plus the HLF cab would probably have been a good rig.

14. The cab's are 4 ohms, in series they'll present an 8 ohm load.

There also isn't any way to rewire a 4 ohm cab to be 8 ohms.

The cab will have either 4x16 ohm speakers in parallel, 4x1 ohm speakers in series or 4x4 ohm speakers in series & parallel ([4+4]+[4+4]). I'm guessing it is the 4 or 16 ohm options.

You could use a series cable to connect the cabs, giving you an 8 ohm load. You'd loose about 3dB from the output of the amplifier, but gain that back from doubling the speaker area. Plus you'd have the speakers closer to ear level.

You could always buy a seperate power amp to power one or both of them.

15. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I don't know if you've had the chance to move your 410hlf around much, but in my experience, the 810e was way easier to schlep around than my previous rig, consisting of 2 SWR Goliath III 4x10's. And, IIRC, the 410hlf is heavier than the Goliath, making the difference even more pronounced. Just something you may want to consider, if your planning on using 2 cabs on a regular basis.

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I would have kept the Musicman head - that's a tube head correct? I'd take tube tone over an Ampeg SS amp any day, no matter the wattage rating.

17. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    The 4PRO is a great upgrade. Using it with a pair of SVT-410HLF's would be huge.

I have ran a 410 right next to an 810 and the 410 is almost as loud and moves Phenominal air volumes. With much better bottom end. My pantleg would just wave in the breeze.

I would stack the cabs vertically, it does take a little custom mount work to stack them that way.

The HLF and the HE are completely different cabs and whomph-wise the HLF smokes it by a mile.

BTW I have SVT-4PRO's for sale, SVT-410HLF, SVT-810e's, and SVT-215e's... Just need to come to South Dakota with a big truck.

BOB

18. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    If you want two 410HLF cabs I'm going to vote for a separate power amp. Running two 410HLF in series as an 8 ohm load would only pull half the potential from the head for twice the cab.

PS-for the guy who asked if the Musicman is tube, I googled it. The Musicman is SS.

19. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I take it back then - the Ampeg is a nice upgrade.

20. Infern0

Infern0

May 13, 2007
    Yeah, it was SS, good tone but no power. Not totally "vintage" but that would be at discretion of the listener.

How does the SVP sound compared to the SVT 4 PRO? And can anyone reccommend a good power amp for this setup?

Willing to ship Rbonner? :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020