1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steal ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by s0c9, Nov 24, 2018.

1. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Just picked up a used Eden EX1158 cab from my local GC where some seasonal worker (they claim) had mislabeled it.. for $49!!
    Was it a steal??

bass4worship, mmon77, G-Z and 4 others like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    More likely the store really wanted it gone, but great deal either way.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  3. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Lol. I can live with that..

bass4worship likes this.
  4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Heck yah I'll take one for 50 bucks

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Yes, if the cab isn't blown....with GC, you never know. ;)

fretter likes this.
  6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    True, one never does. I was playing an SVT7Pro thru it (since I have one) and was trying out some Fenders. Then I decided to take a look at the tag on the Eden out of curiosity! :thumbsup:
    I thought there was some mistake.. Couple of other folks there wanted to jump on it when they found out the tag price. Store manager said it was a mistake, but I didn't care. Given it's an Eden (albeit a pre-owned, now-discontinued model) it was a no-brainer for me.
    Played a couple of basses thru it at home tonight, and sure.. I can make it buzz/rattle, but other than that, it sounds great.. for $49 !! :hyper:

I may swap out the 1/4" jack for a Speakon NL2 tho'.. since my other cabs are that way..

7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Thief! :laugh:

Happy NCD!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

s0c9 and G-Z like this.
  8. NO! Use the NL4 socket for compatibility reasons. I made this mistake once and regretted it. :(

9. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Check to make sure it's not a replaced speaker.

10. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    I was going to say the same. If it sounds good to you, I guess that is all that matters. As long as you don't want to return it...

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    There's one on Reverb for $399. For what you almost find in your couch cushions, you have something to keep in a rehearsal room that's almost to heavy for someone to steal.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    s0c9 likes this.
  12. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    It shouldn't buzz or rattle. You should take off the grill first and see if it still does that. If it doesn't, you just need to put the grillback in and make sure it's tight and maybe add some rubber washers or something to make sure it doesn't make noise. If it does still make noise without the grill, time to closely inspect the speaker, especially around the surround for cracks/rips. If you find anything, you'll have to fix it before it gets worse. If that works, you're all set as long as you don't try to push it too hard. If not, some type of replacement driver may be in your future. But with only 50 bucks in the cab, there's a lot of "meat on the bone" to do that if needed, especially if the cab is in good physical shape.

13. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    It's a steal, even if the speaker is bad.

s0c9 likes this.
  14. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    No doubt a steal. The cab without the speaker is worth at least that. Nice!

s0c9 likes this.
  15. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    That was my thought!! I new speaker is going to cost more than I paid for the entire cab !!

16. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    Thanks. Been working Sound Reinforcement for bands (my other "hobby") for 20+ yrs.. know how to battery test speakers, check cones, and even replaced a few baskets, etc. For $50, putting in a new speaker is still a good deal IME.