1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stealing music,etc...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 4 stringed fury, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ON the topic:

A long time ago (I cannot even recall the name of the file-sharing app I used) but I tried downloading a song or two - mostly when I wanted to hear something I hadn't heard in a long time. But all the uproar caused me to think twice about it all and I figured it wasn't worth the hassle. So I uninstalled the app and stopped downloading shared music files.

Today, I use Rhapsody's free membership to do much the same as I did back then. The only reason I download and listen is because I want to hear the song - not to burn CD's or to subvert the commercial music industry out of some misguided sense of "stickin' it to the man" or moral ambiguity. I'll still buy an occasional CD, but rarely. I am just not that much of a music consumer, when it comes right down to it. The stuff I end up listening to the most is stuff I record with my project bands - or NPR or the really killer stations below 90 on the dial.

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    +1. And also to this self-evident truth from the BigO...

Maybe it is naive to expect some people to admit the truth of this. But then again, it seems even more naive to confess openly in public that you knowingly do that very thing and then feel indignant when other people make judgements about your character.

3. Well - since you ask. Post #26 was the first passive-aggressive attack.

You were asked a point-blank question:
    "So then you freely admit that you are committing a crime and stealing just because you don't want to pay for something?"

And you responded by implying he was a hypocrite. Whether you actually understand how that works or not is not our problem. Hiding behind passive-aggressive comments doesn't change the obvious ill intent of your discourse.

It's seems that you don't fully grasp how what you say can be interpreted. You seem to feel that because you didn't say, "You're a hypocrite..." but instead implied he was gets you off the hook. But when people start to call you on it, you get all bent out of shape. Suddenly it's you who's being attacked and called names.

The difference is that they are being direct with you while you are hiding behind what you think is a righteous position tossing hyperbole and passive-aggressive attacks over the wall and running for cover claiming you're the victim of unprovoked attacks.

And choosing to glom onto the gypsy comment is pretty lame. Yeah, you can find a certain amount of justification for your claim, but really - do you honestly feel a hate crime has been committed against you now?

While you're less than stellar at supporting your untenable positions, you are quite outstanding at being the hapless victim.

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sorry, but this is one of the most pathetic statements in the whole thread. The reaction to what you said is the mods' fault now? You think the OT mods should have intervened in some way and stopped people making any comments about your freely offered opinions, as summarised by tZer above? Or what? What should the mods have done on your behalf? :eyebrow:

Respect for members IS our #1 rule here, it's true. But you can't blame the OT mods if after some discussion, they feel that it's pretty hard to insist everybody here has to respect your choice to adopt a stance like this:

If I was a mod in this forum, the only thing I could offer you, if you feel you're being picked on, would be a reminder to everyone else that no further comment is really necessary after that particular post. Res ipsa loquitur.

A little bit of realism would have made you see that the reaction you got to this was pretty much inevitable. Come on, what else could you possibly expect for taking such a stance? A round of applause?

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    This thread has run its course.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and frankly, if i was an administrator here, at this forum, i would make it a rule that anyone who proudly announced that they d/l'ed music without paying for it, stealing it from the folks that worked hard to make it, would be instantly and permanently banned.

oh, wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.