1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stealing music,etc...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 4 stringed fury, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    makes sense.
    so, can i have a free tshirt? :hyper:

2. originality is dead, the rest of the game is just picking out the best already-written parts

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    if you come out to one of our shows, we usualy throw one or 2 into the audience.:D

but people still buy them off us as well.

4. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    What if some bootlegger started making copies of your band t-shirt and giving them away for free outside of your venue (so that you sold less t-shirts in the venue). Still kosher?

5. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    haha..

if someone started doing that I would be initialy pretty impressed that we were that big. but on a serious note, no I would be upset.

but thats kind of a silly scenario, as noone would give tshirts they paid to produce and bootleg away for free...

I see what you are getting at. I understand. I just choose not to care about downloading the music.

6. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

Me too. The only reasons they download it are a) it's easy, b) there's a seriously low risk of being caught, and c) even if they are caught, what are the odds of any real penalties being assessed?

I love telling them to substitute "basses" where they typed "music" and see if they can make the same arguments. IOW, "I'd never be able to afford all the basses I want so I walk into music stores and take any one I ever want off the wall and just walk out the door completely guilt free.".

If someone has the balls to do that, I'll keep my mouth shut while they download all the music they want. However, I just don't see any of the people making those ridiculous arguments having those kinds of balls. Why not? The reasons are the exact opposite of the reasons I gave for downloading music - a) it's risky to do, b) it's too easy to get caught, and c) if they do get caught there's a great chance of some kind of criminal penalties for that act.

Downloaders, please entertain me by pointing out the alleged flaws in my logic. But please spare me your drivel about "sticking it to the fat cat record company execs and their musical pawns spewing radio-ready drivel to the uninformed masses.". That such a weak, cliche response. Show some original thought, please. :p

7. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I'd steal a bass if it was as easy as it is to steal music.

of course I steal it because its easy and there are no consequences.

I would pay for it if it was cheap though. I do pay for it if I can find it cheap.

I just don't think $20 dollars for a cd is worth it to me. and when I look for digital downloads, they still all cost 15-20$. why would I pay the same as for a cd, and not get a physical copy, when I can just go download it in 20 minutes for free.

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm sorry, but you are stealing money that they would otherwise have if you bought it, duh. I'd call that a loss.

9. BigKahuna13

BigKahuna13

Nov 21, 2004
    LI New York
    you are one ethically challenged person.

10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ

That statement makes it all too easy for anyone reading that statement to conclude you're an amoral person with no regard for anyone or anything but your own selfish desires, but I at least respect your honesty.

11. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    +1. And, that line is almost sig-worthy :)

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Same thing I do with my groceries, don't steal it.

I think people who steal music just because they can't afford it are pathetic.

13. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    ya well you are what you are.

and if you didn't see the slight joking manner in which I said that, sorry.

but seriously, can you tell me that if you could steal a bass, with no reprecussions, noone would catch you and noone would be harmed you wouldn't do it? or at least be tempted?

you have never downloaded movies? or music? or a game?

I also don't see that analogy being all that proper. as a bass can cost thousands of dollars, when music can cost 15-20$.

also a bass is a tangible solid object. music is not.

14. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I think people with moral superiority complexes are pathetic.

15. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Is it really a complex if its true? :eyebrow: :D

16. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    true to you...

the fact is many people have very different moral compasses than you and me. morality is not black and white.

17. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    How is that a superiority complex?

If you can't afford something, you don't just take it. Honestly, you can be a whack job and think it's fine to steal something just because you won't be seen or caught (i'm not talking about just music), but I was brought up with moral DECENCY, not superiority.

If you're the idiot that steals my bass just because no-ones around, you're pathetic.

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    How is stealing not black and white?

19. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    well, i agree with you there....part/most of the reason that the industry is in this freefall is because they had absolutely no reason to charge $20 for a cd...except for wanton profits that never made it back to the musicians themselves.

that said, i find 9.99 for a download on iTunes is decent. arguments can be made about how much artists are re-imbursed for sales, but...c'mon, 9.99? that's like 3 starbucks coffees.
    hmm, i wonder if i can steal some starbucks...

at the end of the day, i am a musician in a band and i work hard to make money. i want to support other musicians just as i would like them to support me. 'cause i know when i buy a cd from a band after a gig, that could sometimes mean dinner or gas money for them that night.

money may not go a long way these day, but karma does.

20. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006

Yes, I can. It's called integrity. Plus, stealing anything, even if it's a "minor" or "intangible" thing is still stealing. Not the example I want to portray or condone for my children.

Nope. With the ability to sample music that exists today, it's easy enough to check out enough of a recording legally before buying. Oh wait, I have downloaded music. But then again, it was a free mp3 that was a bonus for preordering the new DT DVD that just came out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.