1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stealing music,etc...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 4 stringed fury, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Of course I wouldn't steal a bass if there was no chance of being caught. It wouldn't even tempt me. And no, I don't download songs, games, software, etc. either. If I want any of those things I pay for them.

Your argument about "it's so cheap so it doesn't compare to a bass" holds no water at all. The market value of a stolen item has no bearing on whether or not it's theft. Theft is theft. That's yet another weak, cliche, ineffective argument that I've seen from everyone with the same misguided opinion you have.

You again fail to show any original thought. Only incoherent rationalizations.

Like mike_v_s, I am quite entertained by this nonsense. :p

2. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    haha.. man settle down.

its a superiority complex because you think you are better than them.

if you lost your job and ended up living in the street and had to steal to eat so you could live would that be black and white?

and no I wouldn't steal your bass, don't worry. I am actualy a really nice person and would never steal someones property. but I will download music constantly.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Are you seriously a complete idiot? No one harmed? YOU'RE STEALING SOMEONES BASS!!!

4. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    meh, I support ALOT of bands.

if I had not downloaded music I would not have gone to 99% of the shows I have seen this year or spent as much money on t shirts and cds that I bought at the shows.

I will still download music.

5. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    haha... hit a nerve with you eh?

I am not stealing peoples basses. I would not, nor have I ever.

but I will continue to download music.

6. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Yes it would be black and white. It's still stealing! If I lost my job i'd get another.

You just said "I'd steal a bass if it was as easy as it is to steal music".

You've got massive contradictions in there. And I don't think i'm better, I just think they're scum for stealing just for the sake that they won't get caught.

7. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    fixed it for you

8. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That's not the point, the point is you seem to think theft has no repercussions or affects on anyone, at least if they don't catch you.

9. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    There is no rationalization for stealing, except survival.
    I hate to see people explain why they debase themselves.
    If you can't afford it wait until you can or get a better job!

10. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    once again, I also said I was kidding... in a slight manner.

I assumed that the bass being stolen was not owned by a person, and could be downloaded.

say I make a "copy" of a bass in my garage. is that stealing? people do that allthe time.

frankly I think this is a generation divide. I am assuming most of you that have never downloaded music illegaly are over 40. You never grew up in a time when this was the norm and not considered imoral by 90% of the people you know. I also assume none of you would even know how to do it if you wanted to.

Anyone here made a mixed tape? or taped music off the radio?

I don't really know what else to say.

you can all think of me what you want. I don't really care. but don't worry I won't steal your bass.

oh and as for your job, its easy to say you'd get another one. but what if you couldn't?

11. What if you can afford it, but choose not to?

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Dude, i'm 20. I know how to download things.

How can something that's not owned by someone be stolen??
    http://www.answers.com/topic/steal :eyebrow:

You're dismissing everyone's analogies as 'not being proper', yet you're asking if copying basses in your garage is stealing? I don't know about others on here, but I don't know ANYONE who's 'copied' their bass in their garage? Yet according to you people do it all the time..?

Taping off the radio is not ILLEGAL, in fact many MP3 players etc have FM recording on them, or radio's have download abilities via internet or podcasts. Your arguments have no ground whatsoever. I've made mixed tapes/cd's from music that I own, I don't just download tracks I want and make one.

If I couldn't get a job i'd have to be a dead set drop kick, there's always work to be done.

13. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Same goes. It was to highlight people using money as an excuse. If I can't afford something I go out and work hard to earn it.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    If I like a band, I'll go by their CD to support them. Often I'll buy used. I don't really like downloading music. Especially from iTunes. I hate how iTunes puts that stupid lock on files. I download stuff that bands allow, like jambands that allow tapers. The stuff from limewire, bittorrent, and stuff, tend to be crappy quality, and many of the files are either trojan horses or dirty. I don't have time to pick through all that crap just so I can stiff a band I like 5-10 bucks.

15. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    thats cool.. you obviously are perfect and godlike. you obviously have a high moral standard.

I am sorry I do not live up to you moral standard.

16. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Fail.

17. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    wow.. that was deep man.

18. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Epic fail.

19. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    way to show your maturity!

20. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    do it, don't do it. cool. it's still stealing. no amount of moral high ground or justification is gonna change that.

that said, i do download stuff off of acquisition (limewire is too freaky with their viruses). my criteria? the bands i download are cool with people downloading their music. and nothing from studio albums.
    also, acquisition is a pay site.

and yes, i am under 40...altho it's quite impolite to ask a lady her age! :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.