1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stealing music,etc...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 4 stringed fury, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    While this is true I think the main issue here has become one of morals. No one poured their heart and soul (potentially depending on the artist) into the snow. The snow just appeared due to forces of nature, which certainly can't be said of music.

2. Wow, there are all sorts of backwards analogies trying to rationalize both sides of the argument.

3. brivello

brivello

Jun 27, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I can think of 200 albums that i want to have on my computer as well...good thing i have all the cd's on the shelf above it. the next 200 that i want are on my amazon wish list. I am a college student with no job, if i can afford it, so can you.

Im not that into vinyl.

4. I will download albums.

But there is something special when it comes to sitting on your bed listening to a vinyl play while looking through the cover and sleeve. I like having that physical kind of connection to it. Same for CD's.

5. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Well, morals are absolutely relative and constantly subject to change. It wasn't too long ago that there was nothing morally wrong with owning slaves or beating your wife for talking out of turn. As societies views on a given matter change, then obviously their morals change as well. As our society begins to see downloading music as morally ambiguous then views as to the worth of recorded music change. Like it or not this IS occuring, and like it or not it's only a matter of time before being "anti-piracy" will be the minority viewpoint. Ironically (or maybe not), recorded music is returning to it's original purpose as a promotional tool. Go figure.

6. There should be a way to say how many bands have made a career out of people listening to their music in a free-illegal-download way...

I know of many that wouldn't even exist after some months if they hadn't had the support of those free downloads...

They know have a lot of money from shows... You should see what we pay to big bands here in México... It is insane.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Well said.

My dad is 78. In the last few years he's learned to use Sibelius for arranging music for big bands and is very proficient. He spends a lot of time online and can find info he wants with facility. If he wanted to steal music, he could learn how to do so in a matter of minutes. But he doesn't do it.

To think that more kids than mature adults steal music because of a difference in technical capability is either arrogant or just plain stupid.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    These things have NEVER been morally right. There were many who recognized as much at the time when those things were going on.

bc

9. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yep, I "steal" music. Movies too.

I'd rather spend my money on other things.

10. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Cool. So I guess I should be able to walk into a music store with my laptop, pick a CD I fancy off the shelf and burn it to my hard drive, then put the CD back on the shelf and walk out.

11. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Aren't morals subjective? Who decides?

12. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS

I'd go even further and say that it's extremely likely that MOST of the bands I listen to I never even would have known existed without the internet communities that have sprung up around them and fileshare their music. The strange thing is that I don't know how most of these bands ACTUALLY feel about their music being illegally shared, I can only assume that they would prefer that I have heard their music and tell others about them, go to see them when they play shows in my area, and buy their merch, as compared to me having no clue that they exist.

Is that "rationalizing?" Yes, in a way it probably is, but it's still true.

13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Considering that they will not replace the media for free (or even sell you a replacement at reduced cost) if it becomes damaged, I don't think that your scenario is entirely problematic.

14. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    The only "downloading" of music I do is from iTunes.

If i want to check a song out to see if I like it, I'll listen to the 20 second clip. I like being able to find the specific version of a tune using the preview function.

I like being able to pick and choose what songs I buy in that manner for pop music or when I'm learning songs. Buy only what I need.

When teachers loan me CDs for transcription ideas, I'll check them out and then buy the CD if I find something I want to transcribe. If it's just 1 tune-I go to iTunes, if it's a whole disk-I go to Jazz Record Mart/FYE.

With jazz, classical, and musical theater-I typically buy the album in CD form. If i can't find it in a local store [happened w/Damn Yankees-the musical, not the band]-i'll get it on iTunes.

For watching movies and TV for free, I use www.Hulu.com It adds commercials into them. Not a ton of movies and shows are up there, but there's enough to entertain for the hour or so that I want to watch. I'm up for sitting through 3-5 minutes of commercials in a 2 hour long movie if it means I don't have to pay for it.

15. NOOOO!

Then you have to re-shrink wrap it

:bag:

16. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    No, there were people who "believed as much at the time."
    The people who owned slaves would have disagreed. Morality is relative.

Do you eat meat? I know people who are POSITIVE that "meat is murder" and if you do, in their eyes you are moral inferior to them. So who is right, them or you?

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Again, obfuscation doesn't serve as a rhetorical device.

I have yet to hear an argument that doesn't boil down to "I wanted something but didn't want to pay for it."

We can have a discussion on how the music business will change as a result of the inability to stop illegal downloads, but that's an entirely different matter. The question of whether it's right or wrong isn't subjective at all.

18. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I know, I know. People actually charge you to replace stuff that's damaged. :eek:

Where will the madness end?

:D

19. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    I agree that morals are subjective, and that no amount of law making or debate will stop the file-sharing. I wasn't trying to disagree with at all in fact, merely trying to point out that the issue doesn't revolve around whether it will happen or not, but whether you thought it right or wrong.

20. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I wasn't using that as an argument to justify my illegal downloading. I know it's "wrong"... I was trying to make the point that morals aren't universal across a population.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.