1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

stealing music,etc...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 4 stringed fury, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Because they were silly enough to expect people to do what's right rather than take what they want without paying for it? It's really easy to take candy from a baby, too. Just because the baby knows it's not strong enough to defend the candy doesn't make it okay to take it.

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    But they're playing a venue knowing full well there are all of those free entrances when they decided to play there. Doesn't "taking candy from a baby" imply ignorance on the part of the baby?

I know if I were playing that venue I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see people coming in all those open doors, nor would I be upset about it, I would accept personal responsibility for my choice to play that venue (release an album) and would have planned my fiscal strategy accordingly.

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Question: Are you a professional artist?

4. HomeBrewTJ

HomeBrewTJ

May 16, 2004
    Lafayette, IN
    It's the only venue in town...

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It doesn't matter if it takes ignorance on the part of the baby, or the band. It doesn't make it okay to take from them what you have no right to take.

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    dangit, mark. i've been waiting for someone to answer that question since this thread started....

7. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm a professional artist ;) His argument boils down to if it's really, really easy to take something, then it's okay to take it.

8. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    No, but I am a licensed professional within my field of choice. You cannot base your business strategies on how you wish things were, you must base them on the reality of your given profession. File sharing is a reality that is becoming socially acceptable, thus the music business must adapt to survive and stop lament "the good ol' days."

9. This thread has delivered everything I had hoped. Including a very stiff boost in my self esteem. It seems that it isn't just my imagination...I am better than a lot of people.

Still Simply Awesome

Mike

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    ...as long as everyone else is doing it.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You can base your business strategies on whatever you like, no matter how impractical they are. That's your right. Whether or not it makes your business easily accessible to thieves does not change the fact that the thieves.....ARE THIEVES.

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    So, as a licensed business professional, presumably with an understanding of business ethics and a sufficient income to suppport yourself, why do you steal music?

13. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Careful now- Jonyak's going to get ticked off that you're acting morally superior to him. Of course, I'm not really sure where it the world it isn't considered morally low to steal something you don't need. Maybe Jonyak is a Gypsy? :D

14. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Whether it is "ok" is not up to me, don't kill the messenger here. The reality is that our society's view is obviously shifting on this issue and you can either get on board and adjust your business model or you can exclaim the cry of the failed business of "...but this USED to work!!!"

15. A subjective Gypsy.

Mike

16. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    wow so now you resort to racial slurs...

you guys are awesome.

its ok, I will let the self righteous boys club do there thing... have fun.

17. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I don't, I download copies of music.
    For a more robust opinion, see my original posts on the subject.

:)

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Strictly speaking, Gypsy is not a race. Its the collective name for a bunch of different races of people. And, I am awesome.

19. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Which society, specifically, has made it a point to say stealing what isn't yours that you have no need for or right to, is okay? It is called "illegal" downloading, remember? All that's happening in our society is a lot of kids who grew up selfish thinking they should have whatever they want whether they've paid for it or not. It's still stealing.

20. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Music can not exist in physical space in any other form than copies. And every single copy that is made is still the property of the artist/copyright owner. No one accused you of stealing a whole band while they're still playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.