1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Stealing our thunder

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by woody357, Apr 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    This not a real
    Problem but I’ve stated to notice another band copying some of my bands segways into other songs. The first time I noticed it was after we played a gig at the same club, my singer said someone was videoing us. I come to the club a few weeks later and this group I know is doing the same songs together. I know that it could just be a coincidence but I’ve heard them do one of the songs before without the other. Ok no problem. Well last night I see a video of this band and the did it again with another two songs we put together with a minor twist. I know what they say imitation is the highest form of flattery there is but the problem for me is they are a more established group than we are consequently when you see them do what we’ve already done like if we do it again It’s like we stole it from them. Any suggestions. I’m not use to people doing this.

catcauphonic and SWRnut like this.
  2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I suggest you ignore them completely. Put it out of your mind, do your own thing.

If you feel like you must retaliate, just do it better than they do.

Sore Thumb, Mr_Moo, MonetBass and 6 others like this.
  3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    +1

Nothing you can do but do it better.

4. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Vary things up. Don't do things the same way every time. If you play different arrangements and transitions each time you play live, that other band will have a really tough time copying your band.

Mr_Moo and woody357 like this.
  5. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    I agree with you and that’s what I do, but people video us, some Facebook us live. The first time I ever knew someone was video taping us my singer told me someone was sitting there doing it the whole show. I’m good I really don’t want to stay in the clubs too much I am trying to book more private gigs.

Lownote38 likes this.
  6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

There's not really anything you can do about it. I steal stuff like that all the time if I hear something I like and think I can make it work, maybe put my own spin on it. It probably seems more personal if you're in a smaller market and you see some other band getting a good reaction from one of your arrangements. Just keep your ship in order. Work with a nice, tight set list. Keep your shows moving without dead air or a lot of talking. The crowds really like it when you end one song and the drummer immediately counts you off right into the next one. I agree with the thoughts above, just do it better. You'll be fine. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

JRA, Sore Thumb, Mr_Moo and 4 others like this.
  7. Cut the headstock off of the Guitarist's Guitar and place it in his bed.

Diamond_Dave, JRA, BossOnBass and 4 others like this.
  8. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Bench Marking and Stealing Shamelessly was/is a process improvement strategy used by corporations for years.

Mr_Moo and woody357 like this.
  9. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    They stole it because it was good. It was good because you created it. This means what you create is good. Keep creating more.

catcauphonic, JRA, Sore Thumb and 4 others like this.
  10. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Whatever your band is doing must be good for a more established band to "borrow" the idea. As others have said, keep your sets tight and flowing. In return, you could "borrow" back the video of your band that the other band took and throw up on your website or Facebook page!

PullThePlug and woody357 like this.
  11. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Thank you

12. PullThePlug

PullThePlug Suspended

Jan 8, 2014
    Sacramento
    This is your silver lining. They were silly/stupid enough to film it.

But like others said, you've got a skill at arrangement. I'd focus on that and forget about the fire. But playing with fire can be fun, tempting... and even burn you.

Keep up the good music

woody357 likes this.
  13. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Duct-tape the keyboardist's left hand - oh, wait, you have a different problem... :D

14. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    :D:D

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

call the authorities and fill out a police report. i fill mine out in the evenings when i'm having a cold beer. (mexican beer)

16. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    I'm guessing covers, right? They might've just noticed how people were reacting to your versions, and figured that if the crowd was digging it, why not play them too? I like the one comment "...just play them better than they do..." but, I feel you. I swear Disturbed stole one of my older songs. I forgot which one it was, but the intro is our exact riff. Like, to the T.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021