1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Stealing the idea of great luthier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eutgard, May 9, 2006.

1. Currently I'm in serious GAS for MB2 by Rob Allen.

Problem is, I don't live in USA and total cost including shipping and import tax (over 20%, more or less) is way over my capability.

Will it be possible to mimic/copy/knock-off the sound of Rob Allen MB2 bass if I can include essentials of MB2 in my custom bass?

I think there are a few essential characteristics in MB2.

1. chambered/semihollow light weight body with 1/4 inch top

2. La Bella 760n nylon tapewound string

3. fretless fingerboard

4. one piece acoustic type bridge saddle

5. undersaddle piezo bridge with simple volume/tone control (impedance matching buffer included)

6. string through design

7. small, angled head with small, light tuner

8. super rigid laminate neck

and...

9. EXCELLENT craftmanship... and artistic sense. I think he's a kind of artist.

I know it's not possible to exactly duplicate such a work of art. But I will be happy if I can get only dim shadow of MB2.

I'd like to hear your opinion. I know it's a shame to STEAL the idea of such a great luthier. But... I'm too curious.

2. None of those things are found exclusively on Rob Allen's basses, so you should be good. Just don't copy his body shape.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You can't really steal his design unless you can replicate the chamber layout - as imo, that's where it gets different from many other similar basses.