Stealth bongo 5 vs TRB 5P I

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ras1983, Mar 6, 2006.

1. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Looking to get a new bass in a few weeks. I've tried many, and so far the stealth bongo is my favourite. BUT, i haven't tried a TRB 5P series I, and there is one available cheaply due to heavy cosmetic damage on the back. I won't be able to try it until later this week.

Basically, i just want to know what you guys think. What are recordings i can check out that showcase the TRB 5P sound?
  2. burgerme

Mar 3, 2006
    I have a TRB5p right now, and love it. I've also had extensive playing time on a 4 string one that my church owned.

The Yamaha TRB-P series (the ones with a "P" are the neckthru ones, as opposed to the series 2's) are, in my opinion, one of the best things out there for the money. Nick Fyffe of "Jamiroquai" and Danyel Morgan of "Robert Randolph and the Family Band" have played them in the past, although Fyffe now mostly plays Warwick (I think) and Morgan usually plays a Modulus Quantum. You might be able to do some internet research and see on what songs they've used the Yamahas.

IMHO, the piezo pickup makes them really bright for slapping/funk stuff, so if you play that kind of thing you'll be really happy. But if you dial back the high end, they sound good for other types of music.

One thing - I don't know about the Australian exchange rate, but I picked mine up off Ebay w/ case for about $750 American, so I don't think I'd pay that much for the damaged one you posted the link to...
  3. I owned a TRB5P at one point and it was excellent for sure. I sold it because the neck was a little wide for me and the electronics were a little too noisy for my tastes but the tone and build quality were great! No sufficent bongo experience to share:D
  4. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, that huge area without the finish would always be at the back of my mind.