Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stealth Bongo Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Buzz, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Buzz

Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Stealth 4 string Bongo. For those that own/have owned, I'm curious about the finish on the metal parts. (i.e. tuning pegs, bridge, etc.) Is this a flat painted on finish? It's really hard to tell from the few pictures I have seen. It doesn't really look like a black chrome, at least not from what I can tell. Is there any issue of this flaking off? I finally got to play one for about 10 minutes this week and was pretty impressed. Of course there's the HH Stingrays/Sterlings too, but I found a pretty good price on the Stealth. Thanks for your input.

Buzz

2. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The folks at the ernie ball forum might be able to help you. The other option is to contact bovinehost, who sells musicman basses for the Dude. I think I read on the Dudepit forum that they have had a few Stealth Bongos come their way --
    http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/forumdisplay.php?f=48

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Not a lot of help here, but I have a Stealth 5HH, and it does not look like paint, although I am unwilling to scratch a tuner or the bridge to be sure. It sure looks like black chrome or anodized black to me . . . . The gears on the tuners are black too, and there is no way in the world that paint would hold up there . . .

- Tim