1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steam game problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dinghy, Aug 23, 2007.

1. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    When I play any steam games, I can play them in full graphics without any lag for a few minutes... then all of a sudden is lags a lot randomly. My framerate goes from 60 to about 4. What's causing this? It didn't used to do this, it only started about a month ago, and I've had the computer about a year.

2. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Does it happen with any other games? Do you play any other games that can compare graphically to Steam games?

The computer might just be overheating. Those aren't the signs of it at all, so it's probably not that, but take the side of your case off and clean the insides with a vacuum cleaner.

Also, is this gradual or does it happen very suddenly all at once?

3. otherwise try a virus scan, maybe that'll help

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    1)Disable the vertical sync on your graphics card driver.
    2)Scan for viruses and spyware, in that order and do it in safe mode.
    3)If none of this helps "format C\:", reinstall everything and repeat step 1.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What version of Windows are you using? What processor and graphics card do you have?

I agree with the above. A lot of times if you're in a game and it suddenly hits a huge slowdown then it means that something else is suddenly hogging system resources. So do a very thorough check for spyware, viruses, rootkits, etc... Also, if it happens again try immediately exiting the game and see what all is running in the task manager. Make sure that at least you don't see anything running that's not supposed to be running.

bc

6. dinghy

dinghy

May 27, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    It does start all at once, one minute perfect, the next super laggy. I have tried removing vertical sync and it didn't work. I'll try the other stuff.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Is it LAG as in your latency is high, or is your framerate just crappy?

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Steam forums will help you fine.

9. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    my steam seems to be working fine, now...

god only knows with steam tho