Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steamer Clams

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nanook, Feb 17, 2003.

1. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Just had my first dose of these morsels.mmmmmmmm

Ever try them?

2. Oh man.....The East Coast, specifically the Boston area, has absolutely ORGASMIC steamed clams.

I went to this restaurant in Winchester, MA (lovely little town), and had a 1.3 pound lobster tail, a big bowl of clam chowder, french fries and steamed clams...FOR LIKE 25 BUCKS. I WAS IN HEAVEN. I COULD BARELY MOVE AFTER. AND I WAS LOVIN' EVERY SECOND OF IT.

I have found these two states in the East (among the MANY with AMAZING seafood) to stand out in two particular categories:

Crab legs and Crab cakes = Maryland. God damn.
    Lobster = MAINE. PERIOD. Lobster officially takes the cake as my favorite food ever, and Maine's lobster leaves NOTHING TO BE DESIRED.

Where you specifically in the Great White North? I am asking because you can probably get some amazing fish up there as well. I love Alaskan Salmon, for example. And I know from experience that Alaskan Crab legs can rival anyplace in the world. Lobster is amazing too...

Dude, nanook, you just made me sooooooooo hungry......

ARGH.....

3. Just to specifiy to my West Coast (Chris makes 'West Coast' finger sign) friends:

The reason I mentioned East Coast is because I have never had the clams on the West Side.

4. at Jimbo's in boston, right next to the fleet pavilion center, they have GREAT steamed clams.

5. Been there.

I don't think "GREAT" is enough to fully described them, FLOYD...

6. Ohhhh yes my friends! i say Cape Cod has some of the best steamers around! a friend of mine digs em' up and i eat them that night. nothing like a fresh bowl of steamers and melted butter:D

7. well, you had already said "orgasmic", which is my standard word-choice for incredibly awesome foods.
    Mmmm...i love that Jimbo's place. they have really good fried baby shrimp, too.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I'm in seattle, and if you go to any seafood restaurant (well, not a fast-food one) they will have steamed clams. As a wee-lad, that is all i had at a seafood restaurant, but i have seem to grown out of them. I'm not sure what my favorite seafood is, but it isn't lobster (not enough flavor.)Probably calamari, especially in california roll format.

9. i like fried calamari. of course, i'd eat my own hand if you fried it, so...

10. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    As Chris said, Maryland is Crab-central of the USA!!!

It is so great being only a half hour drive from Annapolis... The Water Front... The Seafood Market... Best... food... ever.

I know it might sound gross to some of you, but they have a raw bar in the market where you can get raw oysters and clams on the half-shell. They are alive, then the guy shucks them, puts the half shell on the plate, and you slurp it down. The oysters are SOOOOO good (im not a big fan of the clams). A little tobasco and lemon juice make it cotch-grabbingly transcendant!

All in the same building, and all fresh:
    Crabs, lobsters, shrimp, clams, oysters, and a few seasonal fish.

And in that same building... steamed clams and oysters, fried clams and oysters, crab cakes, raw oysters and clams.

I would live there if I could....

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i love seafood far too much to live in the midwest :(

12. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    [Homer Simpson voice on]
    MMmmm....Cape Cod steamers.
    [Homer Simpson voice off]

I couldn't agree with you more, NickB.

13. posted by floydthebarber
    i like fried calamari. of course, i'd eat my own hand if you fried it, so...

WORD, ON BOTH COUNTS.