1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steampunk: Vernian Process unleashes BEHOLD THE MACHINE on 10/01/10

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JanusZarate, Sep 27, 2010.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    As the bassist for Vernian Process, I'm proud to announce that we're finally releasing the album we've been working on for what feels like ages now...

BtM_frontCover.jpg

After four years of planning, experimenting, and reinventing, the much-anticipated album Behold the Machine will finally be released on October 1st, 2010 in both physical copy and digital download incarnations. The physical copy features amazing original artwork by steampunk artist Myke Amend, created exclusively for this release.

Behold the Machine is an anthology rooted in the shadows of an alternate Victorian Age. From the unholy invasion of London in “Unhallowed Metropolis” to the misty southern bayous and mysterious ceremonies of “Queen of the Delta,” the range of themes and aesthetics present on the album is incredibly broad.

The title track is a cautionary tale about man’s continuing dependency on automation and the dangers of an industrial revolution, while “The Alchemist’s Vision” spins a tale of obsession and a longing for that which is unattainable. “The Exile” is a descent into the abyss of an exiled prince who becomes one with the sea, and his harnessing of her power against his betrayers. “The Curse of Whitechapel” dives into an entirely different psyche – one of a mysterious figure who haunts brothels and bordellos, exterminating those he deems unworthy of existence. “Vagues de Vapeur” is a rallying cry to our scattered numbers, and “The Last Express” is a somber reflection on the nature of the afterlife and what might await us there. The album closes with the four-part mini epic of “The Maiden Flight,” an instrumental journey across countless vistas and landscapes aboard a fragile airship.

The album draws from darkwave, trip-hop, deathrock, post-punk, progressive rock, industrial, and new wave, fusing them with old world influences ranging from neoclassical to ragtime. It is a musical Frankenstein unleashed upon the world…

Along with the album, we will be launching a brand new version of our website (http://www.vernianprocess.com/) from which copies of the album can be purchased from us directly. You can also purchase the album or individual tracks from CD Baby and DigStation. The album will soon be available from other retailers as well, including iTunes and Amazon.

We would like to thank fans old and new alike for their patience throughout the past few years. This album has been a labor of love for each of us involved, and we are ecstatic to deliver our finest efforts to-date for your enjoyment. We’re now ready to move on to the next chapter, and we hope you’ll join us again for the journey.

Sincerest Regards,

Peter J Zarate
    Bassist for Vernian Process

2. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Oh, and some additional bonus images - back cover, inside, and CD art. :)

BtM_backCover.jpg

BtM_credits.jpg

BtM_CDart.jpg

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Sweet artwork!

4. Finally!!!! Will Josh have CDs for sale at Gaslight on the 9th?

5. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    SO FRICKIN EXCITED!!! I CAN HAS A?

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I don't know if he was planning on it, but I'll suggest it to him.

We will have CDs for sale on the 8th, however, at the Ball of C'thulhu (where we're playing with Abney Park and Unextraordinary Gentlemen).

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Oh, and lunar, you know Josh? I'm wondering if perhaps we've met in person before at some point, too?

8. UXG are great, I love them!! I'll be at Death Rock Dive Bar on the 8th though, so I can't make it to your show. I've made it to every second-Friday DRDB since it started, but I may miss my first one ever in December because of the Peter Hook show the same night.

Ja i've known Josh for several years; I'm sure we've met before, at least in passing, probably a few times...

9. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I haven't been to DRDB in forever... and I lived in the East Bay for a few years, too! We almost played there last year with UXG, but our guitarist sustained an injury and we had to pull out. :meh:

But when the next opportunity arises... we'll make deathrock versions of our songs. It really wouldn't be a stretch for some of what we've written. :D

Oh, and I forgot Peter Hook was coming through... I need to make sure my calendar's clear for that!

10. You wouldn't have to change your style at all for DRDB, they have bands of many types play there!

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Oh, I know... but when we were originally scheduled to play there, we were working on alternate versions of a few songs just for the occasion. ;)

12. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    listening to your samples on Myspace now... my gut reaction is that it sounds like the Warcraft II soundtrack. I like it :)

13. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    We're heavily influenced by movie soundtracks, video games, and a wide variety of music from Pink Floyd to Bauhaus. It's no surprise that you drew that kind of connection. :D

14. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
  15. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The album is now available in physical (CD) form directly from us on our website:

http://www.vernianprocess.com

For those of you who buy either version, I'd love to hear feedback on the music - and not just my basslines, either. :p

16. You guys gonna do any touring? I'd love to see this live. Great songs.

17. Archaeobass

Archaeobass

Dec 12, 2008
    Ball of Cthulhu, eh? I might be down for that. Sounds like an excuse for the wife to wear velvet.

18. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    Oho, this could greatly interest me -- after all, Steampunk is the future. Of the past, that is.

Do you guys have a MySpace site, or someplace on your website where we could listen to a few samples?

19. COOL -- I met and was in a Mixer Set at Terminal with Martin and Free back in June.
    I played synth.
    Your CD looks AWESOME !

Stefano, from Sacramento !

20. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yes, we've done some limited nationwide touring before, and we're going to try to step that up again in the coming months.

In the past, we relied on a backing track for the orchestral overtones and drums because we didn't have a full band assembled yet, and it was easier for travel. That will no longer be the case - we're 100% human, now. :D

It'll be a great event - we're playing with two other well-known steampunk bands (Abney Park and Unextraordinary Gentlemen), plus there will be other non-musical attractions. I'm looking forward to playing on my home turf again.

Here's the page Swing Goth (one of its sponsors) set up for it: http://www.swinggoth.com/sf/cthulhu/

Steampunk is the future that never was. ;)

I'm actually launching the revamped website later today. Our current site (http://www.vernianprocess.com) has been in the process of reconstruction via yours truly for the past two weeks.

We do have a MySpace, too, which I believe now has the final versions of the album tracks up: http://www.myspace.com/vernianprocess

I was there! Actually, most of the VP crew was there (Martin, Free, Brian, and myself), but I wasn't playing with Lob and the gang. Just a spectator. It was a great set.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021