Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steel Pulse Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by OneDrop, Jun 24, 2003.

1. OneDrop

OneDrop

Jun 17, 2003
    Any know any info on who played bass on Steel Pulse's song "Steppin' Out"? That bass sounds wicked. I hope it's not keys cause I want that sound!

2. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    i guess it was Ronald "Stepper" McQueen

3. OneDrop

OneDrop

Jun 17, 2003
    thanks. do you know what he uses on steppin out? it almost sounds like an envelope filter, a very "boing-boing" sound.

4. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    not sure i just looked at ubl.com and found out he was there bassist.... thats as much as i know.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think it was Ronny McQueen too.....I've seen Steel Pulse a lot in the last twenty years, and all their touring bassist ruled!! Earth Crisis & True Democracy are simply some of the baddest reggae grooves put to tape:bassist:

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I dont know who he is. But I do agree that Earth Crisis is one good cd with great bass on it.

7. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    My favorite Steel Pulse albums are their first Handsworth Revolution and their live album Living Legacy. One of my favorite reggae bands, and IMO a great way to intoduce reggae to people who have only heard Bob Marley. They tour the USA regularly and are really good live.

I listened to "Steppin Out" and it doesn't sound like there are any effects on the bass to me.

8. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    I also like Steel Pulse, though I don't like British reggae too much. Also check out the band called Aswad if you like SP. You might like it.

9. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    Steel Pulse is off tha hook! I'm gonna check em out at the SF Filmore on the 27th of July... Cyan't wait.... It's been over 5 yrs since I last watched them. PEACE!

oh, it's definitely "Stepper" McQueen. Check out their DVD, IRIE!!!!!!!