1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

steel rounds on fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 311fan, Jun 13, 2012.

1. 311fan

311fan

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Just strung some DR steel rounds on a parts bass I put together. Tomorrow(today, just got of work) I will be sodering the electronics! I'm loving the acoustics of the bass already(jazz bass)! Any one else play with steels on a fretless? I feel like steels give me that amazing mid punch and want to know how they transfer to a fretless!? But it has a defretted neck so, I plan on refretting it on my own but for the moment its going to be fretless.
    Neck was defretted before I bought it and I love working on my basses so might as well add fretting to my accomplishments!
    So back to the op, steel rounds on a fretless?

2. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    I'm all for it. That's how the Fender Tony Franklin Precision ships from the factory. I know what you mean about that mid punch. It will eat up the fretboard eventually, however. The Tony Franklin has an ebony fretboard to limit wear.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190085800

3. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    I use DR black beauties on my 6 string fretless. They sound great and don't seem to do any harm to the fretboard.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Rounds is all I ever used on fretlesses. The growl and harmonics and pinches just leap out. When you listen to all the defining pro fretless players...name any of them, they're all using rounds. I always find it funny that the hobby players are afraid to use rounds.

5. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Still I love flats even on fretted ones

Figure it out on fretless!

But hey I'm no accomplished fretless bassplayer at all...:smug:

Cheers,
    Wallace

6. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Arguably the most famous fretless sound was that of Jaco Pastorius - Rotosound Swing Bass Set (Steel Rounds) on a fretless bass. Sounds great to my ears.....you might be on to something here. :D

7. kopio

kopio

May 8, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I play DR Marcus Miller's on my fretless and I love them!

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Never could understand the likes for flats on fretless myself either. And as another said, Jaco used rotosound swing66 on his.

9. Yves Carbonne and Alain Caron both use La Bella supersteps and sound incredible. I'd say SS strings on fretless can rock.