1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Steel strings for slapbass

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by xXMikeHellXx, Jun 11, 2016.

1. xXMikeHellXx

xXMikeHellXx

Feb 15, 2015
    Thanks and will do for sure. I totally agree on that 100%, it's a pain in the butt to lug around a db just to try out amps. they really do have it easy there aren't really any shops that cater to us

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  2. Sputter

Sputter

Mar 14, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    I used to use steel strings and never really could handle the fingerboard clankiness. No matter how I EQ'd, I never could make them sound old school, or gutbucket-like. It always sounded like metal to me. That said, it's a matter of personal taste, and some folks make it work. I just found that with guts, and now with a wound gut or synthetic E&A, like Evah slaps, I'm getting the click to be a warm woody natural click and not a metallic sounding one.

Hoyt likes this.
  3. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    I'm extremely happy with the Krivo but I've used the EMG and it works very well too. @Dean Foster where did get yours?

4. Dean Foster

Dean Foster

Mar 3, 2015
    CHARLTON, MA
    None
    Jeff I ordered the pick up straight from EMG.

5. Alib8

Alib8

Aug 16, 2014
    Poland
    Could you compare the tension and stiffness/feel of the Eurosonics and Jargar Dolces? I have a set of Eurosonic/Presto UL on my bass but I am considering getting Jargar Dolces.

6. Of course things will change with time and your changing musical ideas and needs. I find that you slap steels very differently, actually a good deal softer as the attack is so different, but of course your mileage may vary with that. I'm using Spirocore Solos on my (double sound post equipped) steel strung bass, with a Krivo pickup and an old Fishman Pro Platinum preamp into various GK amps, and I'm quite happy with the sound of that. It's not the old-school tone of the guts by any means, but it has great tone slapped, or pizz, or even bowed. The Spiros of course sound great for Swing and Blues and other stuff too. It's a great setup for when you're playing with a louder band, or if you're in a place with iffy acoustics. I do have another bass strung with guts, but I don't play it at those gigs.

7. Tomastic Superflexable solos tuned down to eadg. Slappable, pretty darn low tension and easy on the fingers, good tone on my Roma ply.

Keith Rawlings likes this.
  8. slappin sammy

slappin sammy

Dec 28, 2016
    Just got a little m 3 kay with steal on it ,I use eurosonics on my epi would I need a set made for a 1/4 bass or could I use a set I had on a 3/4 ?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  9. Alib8

Alib8

Aug 16, 2014
    Poland
    slappin sammy I used Eurosonic Ultra Lights (regular 3/4 set) on a 1/4 bass and they were fine. I don't think they make a 1/4 set. The action needs to be kind of high to get rid of the buzzing.

10. slappin sammy

slappin sammy

Dec 28, 2016
    Ok great mabey I will give it a go I have a set thank you.

11. Joe Tully

Joe Tully

Mar 11, 2019
    Anyone with any experience with WEEDWACKERS? I always have played on steel strings, looking to SLAP for a change.

12. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    There is actually a fair amount of discussion about wackers and other synthetic strings in the Strings [DB] forum.

I'm a light-slapper/pizz (and about 5% arco) player for bluegrass and other roots genre. I have been using Superior Bassworks (SBW) Deluxe (dirty-gut) D and G strings (medium gauge from their 6-string bump-pack) for a little over a year and continue to be extremely pleased with them. I'm using Innovation SilverSlaps E and A for better volume and clarity in the low range. For me, this mixed set continues to sound and feel great both acoustically and amped.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  13. Joe Tully

Joe Tully

Mar 11, 2019
    I am considering the Silver Slaps if the Weedwackers don't pan out. I'm from California but where is Blue Zone, or is it more a state of mind or an allusion to a certain political party or does it reference Blues music in a groove...

dhergert likes this.
  14. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    If you're playing acoustically, I suspect you'll eventually find you need more volume and clarity from your wacker E and A strings. While I loved the tone and feel of all of my SBW Deluxe strings when amped, when I was playing acoustically among pianos, banjos, mandolins and guitars, and especially when these instruments were being played loudly, I just couldn't hear the E and A strings well enough to carry on intonation.

Amp'ing is a good solution, but some environments just don't prefer amplification. So that's why I checked around, and eventually went with the Innovation SilverSlaps for the E and A replacements, and I'm still with them now because they still sound and feel great. They are a great E and A to mix with the SBW Deluxe strings. It's worth noting, a good setup -- especially sound post location and length -- helps a lot too.

If you haven't checked around, a number of double bass specialty stores sell single strings from the major string makers -- including Innovation. SBW Deluxe strings come in a bump-pack set of 6 strings and their set price is very low (~$60), but other strings tend to be costly enough that it is worth it to buy singles if they are being mixed. (I tend to work with Gollihur Music, Mark is active here in TB/DB and his service and prices are excellent. [NFI])

Here's a Wiki regarding Blue Zones... I live in the one in California. Except to say that the term unfortunately doesn't refer to music, I'll let you draw your own conclusions about meaning.

Joe Tully likes this.
  15. Joe Tully

Joe Tully

Mar 11, 2019
    Don thanks very much for your feedback. I do remember reading the Nat Geo article on Blue Zones. So much of that graphic in the Wikipedia resonated (no pun) with me I got the chills down my arms. Law of attraction anyone? I hoist my organic brown rice cake with the garlic hummus in salute!

dhergert likes this.
  16. Keith Rawlings

Keith Rawlings

Aug 3, 2019

Attached Files:

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021