1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steel Strings That Wont Chew Up my Fingers?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 14, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i'm a regular nickel string user, but the sadowsky and d'addario nickels dont have enough grind for the more rock gigs i've been of late.

but,

along with my granny-butt back that i've pampered w/ neo loaded speaker cabs and an uber lightweight 15 lbs. amp head, my fingers like to be spoiled as well. :p

so, any suggestions on an aggressively biting steel string that's also easy on the fingas?

i really liked the sound of a friend's jbass strung up w/ rotosounds, but after an hour of play, my fingers were pretty chewed up. also, my trusty MTD635 with its MTD steel strings, while awesome in their midrange thickness, pretty much nubbed my fingers to torn up stumps.

anything similar yet not as gnawing?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    warwick black labels, or DR low riders.

3. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    Rotosound 55 Solos are good on the fingers. They are pressure wound and still sound pretty good too. Check out their site for soundclips of all their strings.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    GHS Super Steels are pretty good. I also tried some Ken Smith Masters and found them to be more coarse.

5. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    choose the string you like the most soundwise., and stick to it. i recently disovered rotosound swing bass 66 (i think thats what they are called) and they are really agressive on the fingertips. in the beginnig (couple of days) it was a bit painfull, but then my skin got used to it and now i have no more problems. i know htis is not exactly an answer you asked for, but it's my advice anyways.

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I was a nickel guy forever, until I tried Dean Markley Blue Steels on my P-bass. They aren't quite as smooth on the fingers as nickel, but they're close enough that I don't notice a difference when playing, and they added exactly the growl/grind I wanted on the P.

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    If you play steels two to three times a week, the fingers will toughen up real quick especially if you are already playing nickel rounds.

I carry a bottle of New Skin in my gig bag. It is like a clear finger nail polish meant to protect blisters. If I am really out of practice and on my way to several hours of playing, I will coat my fingers with several small coats before I begin.

Dave

8. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    I just recently checked out the nickel plated Blue Steels. I have never been a fan of Blue Steels, but I like these a lot. They have the edge of steel strings (which I've always used), but are smoother to the touch. After years of playing steel strings, they feel like butta.

9. Jason Carota

Jason Carota

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I find Fodera's steel strings to be quite soft.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Grow some callouses Jae ya big wuss! :p

11. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I used to use the Rotsound Swing bass 66's; now I use DR hi-beams. The DR's feel a little smoother. The Rotos are not rough but they do feel drier. The DR's feel somewhat slinkier to me.

12. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Get some DR Sunbeams. Has what you want.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    lol,

but, but, but, my job as a hand model!

george1.

14. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Smoothest feeling steels for me are DRs and especially Labellas.

Sadowskys and MTDs are the roughest I've used.

15. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'm surprised to see DR's mentioned.

I find Lo-Riders to be rough and slightly tacky. It's an addictive feel for me... especially under sweaty gig conditions.

I just tried my first set of Sadowsky stainless this week and I found myself missing that DR feel. The Sadowskys feel more polished and smooth to me. I haven't gigged with them yet, though. That'll be the real test.

16. La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels are pretty easy on the fingers. I've torn my fingers up something awful on nickel strings, just from digging in too hard, but the La Bella steels haven't given me any problems.

17. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1

and +1 on rotos. i use the stainless steel swing bass 45-105s too... i love them. nothing else sounds like rotos.

another person mentioned the "solo bass" pressure wounds by rotosound... those are still fairly growly but the winding feels "tighter" (less coarse/painful).

18. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    I like the feel and sound of DR Hi-Beams....

19. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I just put a set of La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels on (40-100-128). They seem super smooth for a stainless and I am a bit out of practice. The B string sounded great thru head phones.

Dave