Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steele Sound Cabs vs Avatar ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgce, Apr 1, 2005.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've found a 2x12 bass cab on eBay that seems too good to be true. A company called Steelesound makes several cabs including the 2x12. This cab is supposed to be 100% US made yet it goes for only $145 ($40 shipping). Okay, is this real? I mean, Avatar seems to be the very best deal going as far as bang for buck and their 2x12 goes for $279 ($42 shipping). With all the positive reviews, my gut says go with Avatar. However, that $145 price tag over at Steelesound is a tough one to pass up on. Has anyone tried one of these cabs before?

Check out this eBay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7312105143&rd=1

I've slapped on a picture as well. Any feedback would be welcomed!

Thanks

r

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Pffft! No contest here! Spend your hard earned money on an Avatar!!

3. I believe the link posted was not what you intended? Looks like a band link not an Ebay link. Would like to investigate so repost the intended link when you can...

4. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
  5. Naw man, get the steel sound. Who can resist piezo tweeters and plastic speaker grills!

6. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Okay, I'm getting that sinking feeling that Steelesound is crapola and I better play it safe with Avatar, no?

r

7. Joe Martin

Joe Martin

Mar 23, 2005
    Frederick, MD
    I hope that was sarcasm...

And yes for the love of god get Avatar! Tried and true, not to mention top notch service from a very friendly seller! You won't be dissappointed.

8. I was serious. Chicks dig plastic speaker grills.

9. Yeah, have to concur after looking closer. Avatar it is!!

10. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    The numbers add up to Avatar. Consider, the Avatar is basically $136 more than the Steelesound when factoring in shipping charge. Given that small difference, why risk getting a piece of junk or at best an okay cab when I can get an excellent one from a reputable company. Avatar it is. Thanks everyone for the input. I suppose it was really a no brainer all along but sometimes a guy needs a little feedback for clarity.

Thanks!

r

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Just a little FYI tip: Avatar's two speakers in the 2x12 cost more than the SteelSound 2x12 does after shipping.

12. Cassaramma

Cassaramma

Oct 7, 2002
    Colorado

that is the OLD model .. check the new ones.. they are wayyyy better..................

13. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    I'll tell you what, after about two months of solid bass cab searching, we went with that exact Steelsound 2x12 cab. For the small amount of cash, we gambled and won.

I've never tried Avatar cabs, but this bad boy beats the pants off of any 1x15, 2x10 or 4x10 cab (we tried ones by Peavey, Behringer, Fender, Hartke, Eden, and Ampeg). It even beats an Acoustic 2x15 cab we found and tried. Over the course of our search, the Steelsound was the only thing that could get that low, punchy, LOUD tone my bassist was looking for.

I mean, honestly, why buy something more expensive when this sounds better? Like I said, I haven't tried the Avatar, but the Steelsound is pretty darn solid.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that the cab I'm talking about is the new model, with a full face metal grill, rather than just the speaker-specific grills. Looks a lot more professional.

14. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
  15. I've got one and I'm happy with it. I've used it with a Cirrus 6, Warwick Corvette/passive, Fender Jazz,and a Peavey axcelerator. The amps I've used are a Tube Works RT3300 and a SWR 400sm at volumes from soft to ear splitting. I've used it by itself and paired up with either a SWR Triad or a 15" I have. Sounds good to me. I've never played Avatar but from everything I've read here about them I'm sure they are great but my SSB212 most definitely not a bad cab.

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have heard tons about avatar. Nothing but good. Also, Dave's customer service is well-renowned.