Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steeleye Span: Below the Salt

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Special_Ed, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Maybe its what I had to smoke earlier, but this album is excellent right now. Very beautiful music and great singing. Anyone else ever heard of these guys?

They are sort of an underground 60s band. Never became too popular.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Not 60s, they started up about 1970 and still exist today (only one original member is left, singer Maddy Prior). I bought that album on vinyl back in 1973, still have it.

They were not underground in their native UK, the song Gaudete off that album was a number #1 hit. Pretty good considering it was an acapella tune sung in Latin :eek: They are still well known in folkie circles on both sides of the pond.

Below the Salt is probably the best of their albums.

3. Congratulations on admitting to "smoking" (regardless of what it was). I was beginning to think I was on my own. :D :D

4. I have most of their albums on vinyl, having found them late on and then worked backwards through their catalogue.

There is an interesting phenomenon with some folk bands that they start off acoustic, in folk clubs, and then get amplified, and then get on the touring circuit as a warm up for someone else, and then they get heavier, then they lose their roots, then they split.

Steeleye span did, the Natural Acoustic Band did. Any others you can think of?

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Brian is right there - they were very popular in the UK in the 70s - I saw them play in Brighton as part of a tour of big venues when they were Number 1 in the charts!

In fact, most people I knew at the time, thought of them as a more commercial version of Fairport Convention, who had the real "cred" in the Folk/Rock scene, while Steeleye Span were almost seen as "selling out", for releasing singles!! ;)

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Do It Again" & "Josie" are pretty hip....

7. Bruce Lindfield

You're thinking of Steeler's Wheel again!! :D

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    :meh:

;)

9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That's funny because SS was founded when bassist Ashley Hutchings left Fairport in order to do stuff that would be LESS commercial.

Considering Ashley was a founder of the three most important UK folk rock groups (the third being the Albion Band) as well as a great bassist it's a shame he's not much better known esp. in the bass community.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I like that record and Parcel of Rogues the best of all their stuff. Though Commoners Crown has some excellent stuff too.

11. Bruce Lindfield

But that's the way it turned out - so they had several other singles - like "All Around My Hat" and were on Top of The Pops - UK TV - many times in the 70s - along with big commercial acts like 10CC - they played many big venue tours etc. etc.

Whereas Fairport Convention hardly released a single and it certainly never got them into the charts or on TV!!