Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steelsound Eminence 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave120, Jul 25, 2005.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    So in my recent quest for a working bass rig I came across one of these cabinets a few months ago.

First off, this is NOT one of the X-Audio or Legion Sound cabinets which people slam so much for being cheap crap. This is one of their newer in-house designs that can be seen HERE

It's a solid birch plywood cabinet that seems solid as a rock and isn't unreasonably heavy for a 4x10. I know some people complain about the plastic jack plate but it's given me no troubles so far. I don't know if it's even the same jack plate people complain about since Steelsound is so often associated with their older crappy lines. The handles seem pretty sturdy and the full face grill is high quality. The only thing I would do construction-wise is change the rat fur type carpeting to tolex so it's easier to keep clean. This thing is internally braced and insulated as well as any high end cabinet I've ever seen and I do NOT worry about it falling apart.

From what I've read the speakers in it seem to be decent, and they definately sound really good. I'm running them through an old Stereson "Rebel Bass" amp that my uncle used to use in the 70s. (I'll be eternally grateful if somebody can tell me something about that amp since I can NO information on it anywhere other than a tag that says Clearwater, FL on the back.) It sounds really good actually. I don't know whether it's the amp or the speakers making the tone sound like it does though since I haven't done extensive testing with other amps since this is the only separate head I have at the moment. Either way, the speakers produce good, clear sound and handles the low notes easily. The tweeter makes a bit of a growling noise when you use distortion, but I assume any tweeter will do that. I may install an on/off switch for the tweeter eventually to deal with that, but it actually sounds kind of cool. I'm anxious to get my buddies' amps over here to try on this cab and see how it matches up to theirs since it seems like it would have no problems. It's nice and punchy which is exactly the sound I like for what we play. Those of you that run simulations please chime in with the capabilities that these speakers have though.

The power handling on it is nice at 800 watts RMS. Some people say that's inflated but again, they may be confusing with the old cheap lines again. I'll definately be testing that out eventually though :D

Price paid for this cab: I bought it off one of their eBay auctions so I paid less than $250 total for it after shipping. If you look up the price of the 4 drivers in this thing it'll cost more than that! Seems outrageously low, but for a cabinet that it built like a tank and sounds much better than I thought it would, you can't beat it. I think I'm going to buy a 1x15 from them to finish up my rig and round out the sound. Those are insanely cheap too!

So that's my experience with this cabinet so far. I thought I'd chime in with a review on this since Steelsound has a bit of a bad rep because of their other lines, but it seems like they've turned things around a bit. Their customer service has been good as well. Quick replies to my e-mails every time. It seems like they have a nice solution to budget gear that should be reliable as it seems like this thing will serve me for years to come.

2. Your review seems very much like my Steelsound 2x12 review in this forum...check it out.

Hope you enjoy the cabinet. I've done just about 3K of business with Steelsound/Madison speakers over the past month, and the gear is nicely made and sounds great.

Take care,
    Jay

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Heck, I still like my X-Audio 2x10... as long as I keep it dry.:)

4. I made my first purchase with Steelsound this month. I bought 2 Madison Knight 15 inchers to go into my empty 2x15. I was surprised by the quality and sound of these drivers. They have a cast basket rather than stamped. I'm running them in parallel to give me a 4Ohm load. I'm only running 100w RMS into them from my tube amp, but man do they hit hard and low. Very deep and punchy. Count me in as a satisfied customer.

5. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    With the prices the X-Audio stuff is selling for, if it works and produces any sound at all it's a good value!

I'm tempted to pick up the 115 on my next paycheck, although I really want a GK amp...decisions decisions...