Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steely Dan - Everything Must Go

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by feckn_eejit, Jun 11, 2003.

1. So... what does everybody think?

I, for one, really dig it! It sure whups 2vN, although I still don't think they've managed to recapture that same Steely Dan vibe they had way-back-when. Really solid grooves on this one - Keith Carlock's drumming is scintillating. Walter Becker takes on the bass for the whole album - his Sadowsky Jazz sounds unbelieveably good - astounding low end, with just a bit of tasty midrange bite.

Production-wise, this CD sounds AWESOME, but would we expect anything less from these guys? I think not!

Anyway you slice it, Messrs. Fagen and Becker have outdone themselves - although it's no _Aja_, _Everything Must Go_ is a truely solid album!

Can anybody say "Album of the Year"?

--jeff

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That's funny I have the exact opposite opinion thus far of the cd. I own every cd they have and their dvd's and have to say I am kind of disappointed. I think Two Against Nature is a much much better album (and I think TAN is also one of their best overall personally), and I find the drumming to be especially weak and the bass playing boring with pretty poor tone.

I think a lot of the song writing and lyrics do not compare favorably with their other works and notice that many compositions seem to be very very weak...I am a huge fan of theirs and have found it to be quite disappointing thus far, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they called it quits again after this. It's kind of a bummer because I have been waiting awhile for this one.

Of course given a few more weeks time I might change my mind. ;)

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Hey, I too, am having a whiskey! ;)

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    BTW, we already have a thread on this over in Recordings.

I pretty much agree with you on all of that, feckn_eejit.

As for Jared - "and I think TAN is also one of their best overall personally" - Wha?? Are you MAD?!? :D j/k

Personally, 2VN is my least favourite.

I don't think I could choose a favourite, but I'd narrow it down to their last three 70s-era albums - The Royal Scam, Aja, and Gaucho.

Also, Fagen's solo album, The Nightfly.

IMO, those are four of the best pop records ever made.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

The Royal Scam is good, as is Gaucho. That and Aja are probably my favorites of the older ones (Aja is their best by far of course). I think TAN stands right up there with those three however, just depends on the mood I am in. The songwriting is pretty damn good IMO on that album and shows a maturity that a lot of their older stuff just doesn't. That is just *my* opinion of course.

Nightfly is ok. Some good songs but not as good in general as the Dan stuff. You're talking to a dude who knows every lyric and note of every song of theirs here... ;)

Moley you like Katy Lied and Pretzel logic more than TAN? :confused:

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Certainly. Those two albums are fine, as is Countdown To Ecstasy. Can't Buy A Thrill is good too.

7. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

No I don't know the chords wiseguy :p

I meant every note as in the melodies, all of the solos etc. The old albums are not as good as their newer ones. You can obviously see the progression in the band from their early stuff up until 1980 when Gaucho was released. They quit at the time because they felt their best work was behind them and that they wouldn't top Aja. So even the Fagen and Becker have stated they got better and better and then peaked. The older stuff in general is not nearly as good...obviously we have wildly different tastes. And no nightfly is not as good as the Dan stuff. ;)

"Thanks for calling, I wait all night for calls like these." ;)

8. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I was enjoying a lovely beverage at the bar when a guy named Hoops McCann kept saying he knew both Woodchuck and Donald Fagen. I just ignored him.

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Did you have any szechuan dumplings?

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh really? :D

11. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.

I was grinding through my day gig stacking records at the Strand, and I headed over to Mr. Chow's for lunch. They were out of them. I then rolled into to Anthony's Bar and and Grill and was rudely told that a bar owned by a guy named Anthony wouldn't be serving szechuan dumplings anyway. I took my Black Cow and got out of there.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Did Hoops have a scar across his face and did he wear a hearing aid?

13. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
    If he had a hearing aid, or scar, I didn't see them. He was hollering something about Jolly Ranchers, doing time for a crime, and graphite necks. I've found the best thing to do with people like that is to ignore them. They won't take me alive.

14. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I'm glad Steely Dan lyrics make scence to some people:confused:

15. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    None. At all.
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This goes in "Recordings".

Then again, what could we expect from a feckn_eejit?:p

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Best SD album: Countdown to Ecstacy.

"Will you still have a song to sing when the razor boy comes and takes all your fancy things away?"

"It was still September when your daddy was quite surprised to find you with the working girls in the county jail."

"No marigolds in the promised land; there's a hole in the ground where they used to grow. Any man left on the Rio Grande is the King of the World, as far as I know."

Aja was pretty good, too.

"We're gonna break out the hats and hooters
    When Josie comes home
    We're gonna rev up the motorscooters
    When Josie comes home to stay
    We're gonna park in the street
    Sleep on the beach and make it
    Throw down the jam till the girls say when
    Lay down the law and break it
    When Josie comes home ."

18. Not much, it would appear!

At least I've given myself the chance to live up to my lofty moniker.

--big feck'n eejit

19. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Yes, he has a scar from ear to ear, and he will make your mugshot disappear!

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like the new record. However, it's not their best stuff. The drumming is boring sounding to me, where's Steve Gadd when we need him. I like the bass playing and sound. Will Becker be playing bass on tour? I hope so.