1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steely Dan's 2 Against Nature hpf and lpf points on the bass ?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by 4Mal, Apr 15, 2014.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Listening at work, dang that's rich but defined... Anybody have a guess at the range they let through on the bass... The kick is a toughie as well. Typical for SD, the mix is just ridiculously good...

2. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    I like the subject on your thread. I'm assuming you're asking about Tom Barney's bAss sound... :oops:).

He definitely is on the bridge pickup on "Gaslighting Abby"- to approximate that sound, you might start by goosing the 250Hz a bit and roll a passive treble off by about 30%. It definitely is tight below 100Hz. I like that sound, even though I don't go for it when I play!

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Oh lord the typo's...

Thanks, I hope to play with it a bit when I get home tonight. I'm kinda interested in how I can get there live. I play through the P A almost all the time and my board has pretty decent EQ. That sound could really fit when I use basses with mag pickups...

4. wasabifox

wasabifox

Nov 6, 2011
    Tom Barney is using a MM Stingray on Gaslighting Abbey.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkBass

5. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    a sonic tapestry-
    yeah it sounds like a ray on the opening track.