Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steely Dan's "Gaslighting Abbey" - Bassline Clip

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lokire, May 4, 2005.

1. Ok, this is a clip I recorded of the bassline to "Gaslighting Abbey" by Steely Dan with Tom Barney on bass. One of my top 5 rated basslines ever. The groove and the tone and everything is just pure awesome. I just learned this part of it 10 minutes ago and came up with a great tone for it, one the best bass tones I've come up with so far, imo.

Not my best playing though, since I just learned it. It's not in my muscle memory yet :wink:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=543777&T=6489

Let me know what you think, of the tone especially - and Enjoy :bassist:

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I like the tone a lot. It says that's a Ken Lawrence? Which model? What'd you record it through?

Dang, that sounds fine!

3. Thanks man.

It's a 5-string Ken Lawrence Unity Bass. With custom Benavente pickups (sooo sweet :D ). Recorded straight through a DI with some compression.

[​IMG]

:hyper:

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I really dig the tone. Defined, articulate and meaty.
    And your bass is beauuuuuuutiful. Congrats on both.

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Incredible looking bass, but when I open the sound clip all I get is a really loud hissing noise. I think I hear a bass in the background, but it's just some horrible feedback or something.

-Eric.

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Like the tone, tune is a great tune, I wish they would have let Barney cut lose on the rest of that album. Becker is good but way to clinical for my taste.

7. I've heard that from a few people. It seems to be some problem that certain people have with Acidplanet. Might be an incorrect codec or something, I have no idea. Try downloading the clip first or something.

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you like it :D

8. californiagirl

californiagirl

May 4, 2005
    I'm downloading it right now (even though it's not large, it can take awhile when you have a dialup connection), and I'll let you know what I think!