1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Steely Dan's "Gaslighting Abbey" - Bassline Clip

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lokire, May 4, 2005.

1. Ok, this is a clip I recorded of the bassline to "Gaslighting Abbey" by Steely Dan with Tom Barney on bass. One of my top 5 rated basslines ever. The groove and the tone and everything is just pure awesome. I just learned this part of it 10 minutes ago and came up with a great tone for it, one the best bass tones I've come up with so far, imo.

Not my best playing though, since I just learned it. It's not in my muscle memory yet :wink:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=543777&T=6489

Let me know what you think, of the tone especially - and Enjoy :bassist:

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I like the tone a lot. It says that's a Ken Lawrence? Which model? What'd you record it through?

Dang, that sounds fine!

3. Thanks man.

It's a 5-string Ken Lawrence Unity Bass. With custom Benavente pickups (sooo sweet :D ). Recorded straight through a DI with some compression.

[​IMG]

:hyper:

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I really dig the tone. Defined, articulate and meaty.
    And your bass is beauuuuuuutiful. Congrats on both.

5. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Incredible looking bass, but when I open the sound clip all I get is a really loud hissing noise. I think I hear a bass in the background, but it's just some horrible feedback or something.

-Eric.

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Like the tone, tune is a great tune, I wish they would have let Barney cut lose on the rest of that album. Becker is good but way to clinical for my taste.

7. I've heard that from a few people. It seems to be some problem that certain people have with Acidplanet. Might be an incorrect codec or something, I have no idea. Try downloading the clip first or something.

Thanks for the comments guys. Glad you like it :D

8. californiagirl

californiagirl

May 4, 2005
    I'm downloading it right now (even though it's not large, it can take awhile when you have a dialup connection), and I'll let you know what I think!