Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Steely Dan's Gaslighting Abby Tab

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by watspan, Jan 9, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    From 2 against Nature cd (also a grat dvd w/ tom barney on bass)

Anyone have a tab on this, especially the funky break or bridge--i've never been able to puzzle that out by ear--interesting that the bass parts on the cd were played by guitarist walter becker!

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Becker plays both guitar and bass - AFAIK, he took the bass chair when he started playing in a band with Donald Fagen. Then they got the bright idea of hiring top session musicians to make their albums and folks like Chuck Rainey laid down a lot of the bass lines to their classic songs such as Peg.

However, Becker contined to write for and play bass as well as guitar.

Alas, I haven't heard the "Two Against Nature" album so can't help with the tab... but Becker can definitely hang as 'one of us' ;)

Wulf

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yeah, as they went on they started using more and more session musicians. On albums like Aja they were using the absolute top session musicians of the time, like the aforementioned Chuck Rainey, as well as Victor Feldman, Wayne Shorter, Steve Gadd...

I've got Two Against Nature at home (I'm at work now). I've not listened to it much - I can't say it's my favourite Steely Dan album - but when I get home I'll have a listen to the bass on that tune. If you're lucky, depending on how fiddly it is I might transcribe it for ya :)

4. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    thanks to the TB'ers from "across the pond"!

Tom Barney plays the bass on the dvd concert, walter has the duty in the studio.

I really like both of these.

some bass lines I have trouble copying even in my head, therefore it never can get to my fingers! The break or bridge lick on gaslighting abbey is one of those. What techniques do you guys use to puzzle these out? break them down into phrases/measures and learn those and then piece the whole thing together? anyone ever use a "phrase trainer" or such like they have in the korg px4b?

thanks

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm a great fan of the shareware program Transcribe!.

I downloaded the demo last Summer when I joined a couple of bands and suddenly found myself with a lot of songs to learn; I got hooked by features like it's drag and drop interface for repeating a phrase and the ability to fool around with speed, pitch and eq indepently of of each other and had no qualms about paying up once the first month was over.

Definitely worth checking out.

Wulf

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Tis cheating, wulf :D Actually, now that I'm home, I'll have a listen to that Steely Dan tune...

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I know that real artists can cop a tune perfectly having heard it once years ago in a dingy bar.... however, I'm merely a humble bassist and happy for all the help I can get ;)

Wulf

8. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    man, i fiddled w/ this again last night--starts around 3:12 in the song--I think it starts on an Eb and ends on G, but that's as far as i can get!:confused:

9. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    No help? Is this thing kickin' anyone else's behind?

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh sorry... I'd forgotten. I listened to the song. I might just transcribe it tonight :) To start you off - the verse is in E - it's kinda a funk thing based on E7 - not really a specific bass part, it's sorta improvised I'd say. Maybe I'll get the chords to the chorus down for ya tonight :)

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No that's wrong - on this particular track on the CD it is quite clearly stated that Tom Barney plays bass and I think you can definitely hear the difference!!

Becker plays on some of the tracks and is competent but nowhere near as good as Barney!!

So - the CD notes specify that Barney plays bass on tracks 1,8 and 9 - Becker plays bass on the rest.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

PS - it is a great bass line and I have tried playing it with some success - but there's no way you'lll get me using/writing Tab!! ;)

Besides, I think the big thing about this line is Barney's rhythmic "feel" and this won't translate into Tabs .

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Oh yeah - watspan - if I get those chords down for you - you ain't gettin' it in tab :) I'll tell you the chords, and give you an idea as to the notes. But, it's not a strict bass line - it's an improvised funk thing, the idea is to get the feel, not to play exactly what Barney played.

14. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    thanks for the corrections re: becker/barney--I hadn't looked at the liner notes recently. Any pointers you can give me, tab or not are appreciated. I apologize for any taunting!;)