Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stefan Fimmers

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xsogol, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Hi Everyone,

I've done searches for more information about Stephan Fimmers from Necrophagist, but he only seems to be mentioned in three threads on TB and only in the context of being a good metal bassist.

I own Necrophagist's two albums, Onset of Petrefaction and Epitaph and they are phenomenal...some of the bass parts that Stephan plays on Epitaph blow me away. I hear he plays a 6 string, but that's really all I know...I don't know if this is accurate, and Google and Yahoo have been patently unhelpful in providing info about him too.

Does anyone on TB have anything they can tell me about Stephan? Influences? Gear? Pictures? Anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! :help:

2. Does anyone have any info? Thanks!

3. Here's a little bit of info I dug up...I will post more in a bit. If anyone else has something to add, please chime in. Thanks!

From siN's Metal Forums:

On his technique and gear:
    "Hi there,

Thanks for your interest.
    There`s no special thing or a secret about my playing. I`m using a six string Eyb Bass, a SWR 750x amp with a Blue Thunder Preamp for Comression and that`s it.
    I`m playing all the songs with fingers. No slapping, no plek. Most of the time I´m using three fingers to get the speed. I decided to start with the index finger at the three finger technik, what is in my opinion very comfortable. So I can add my ringfinger very easy if I need.

Cheers

Stephan"

On his influences:
    "I don`t play much classical stuff on Bass but of course I`m influenced by classic cause of my Piano playing in my childhood.
    At this time I play and listen to funk music like Tower of Power or Spice and such things. I also play in a Funk Band.
    I also listen to Prog Metal like Dream Theater or just cool Rock Music like Mr Big.
    At the moment I`m working on a cover CD with a friend where we record songs of our heroes. Some Mr Big stuff (Billy Sheehan rules) and Steve Morse stuff with my big idol Dave LaRue an Bass, Dream Theater, Greg Howe ...
    (Hannes has recorded some Drum tracks by the way).
    I`m also recording a new CD with my former Death Metal Band with a new line-up. Hannes plays Drums and Eumel (singer of Final Breath) will take the vocal part. Maybe you guys can listen to the stuff in about 3 Months.

Cheers

Stephan"

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    He is a very good bassist. The solo at the beginning of Only Ash Remains is really damn good. They never come to America so if you are in Maryland for the Maryland Deathfest you should definitly check them out.

5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I downloaded a few songs from them on guitar pro, and if this guy plays as the tabs said then he must be one of the best bassist in the world, atleast in metal..

6. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    The funk band he plays is is like a bluesy RnB sorta soul sorta thing, never got a chance to hear it though. Only heard some stuff off some forums. Id love to hear him playing something that isnt so brutal haha.

I dont know much about the guy apart form hes a gun tech death guy. If i find out anything else ill let you guys know.

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I downloaded a video of them live, and the bassist was using a pick.. ??

Anyway, Necrophagist is by far the best deathmetal band i've ever heard, i dont listen alot to that kind of music anymore but this band... they are amazing... :bassist:

8. Necro Stephan

Necro Stephan

Nov 4, 2005
    Hi there,

Its great to see that some guys are interested in my Bass playing.
    :hyper:

Xsogol wrote me a Private Message at the Necrophagist Forum that some Bass fellows have some questions.
    Here we go

My Influences come from all styles of music. I played in several Bands before Necrophagist. Funk, Nu Metal, Hardcore, Pop Music...
    I think you always have to look whats going on beside your own music. There are many Bands in different styles of music which are very inspiring. For example Spastic Inc, Mr Big, Incubus, Steve Morse Band...

At the moment I`m still playing an Eyb Six String. Its a custom made Bass from a luthier in Stuttgart/Germany. Maybe it will change on the next record.
    For amplification I use an Ampeg SVT 4Pro and a 8x10" SWR Cabinet.

All right, that`s it

Stephan

P.S. Always keep on watching Rambo Movies!!!!!!!

9. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Well i really wasnt expecting that. :)

Hows it going?

Ive been listening to Necrophagist for a while now and never actually seen you guys live because i live in Australia.

I was surprised when i heard you played funk aswell as metal.

By the way Stefan, got any funk albums you'd recommend?

I hope you guys are thinking about a world tour because there would be some money to be made here in aus, plus i have to see the magic live. :bassist:

Anyways its good to see you've come to visit the forum, pretty good place.

10. Thanks so much for answering my message and posting here, Stephan!! We all very much appreciate it! You're the man! :bassist:

Do you play in any other bands than Necrophagist at this time?

Do you have any pics of you in action on bass? All I can find is pictures of Muhammed and Christian shredding out on g***tar but none of you or Hannes...the rhythm section always gets shafted when it's photo time :crying:

Thanks again for all the great music and keep us posted as to what you are doing!! :hyper:

11. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I've yet to see Necrophagist live but I really want to. I'm gonna try to travel to go see them at Maryland Deathfest this year. That would be really awesome.

Your solo on Only Ash Remains is awesome.

12. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Mr Fimmers recently got a new bass a Vagier or something , looks mean.

13. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    That was their previous bassist. I believe he also played on Onset.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    You mean a Vigier :p

15. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    i'm pretty sure muhammad played bass on "onset of putrifaction". the whole album is his work, his playing.

16. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Oct 5, 2007
    Portugal
    Correct.

17. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    i said that hoping it hasn't been mentioned already in the thread. :meh:

18. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    My fault. I know the re-issue has Hannes on drums. I thought he'd gotten Jochen to play on the re-issue as well.
    On a side note, I also hear that Marco Minnemann and Muhammed have a side project going.