Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stefan Lessard detailed equipment questions

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    My bass idol is Stefan Lessard, I know quite a bit about his bass tone and equipment. I prefer his older tone, pre-Everyday. I think that his bass sounded the best I'd ever heard on the Listener Supported and Before These Crowded Streets albums. I especially dig his Dolphin pro 1 here, I like what he does with the Modulus Quantum 5, but I don't really care for the Flea 4 and 5 sound. (Too big and boomy compared to earlier stuff) I know a decent amount of info about his gear and I am looking for additional pertenient info, I know he plays a (1995-1996) Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 made of Boire wood and outfitted with Basslines custom pickups (AJJ-1) and preamp, He has several of these Dolphins, a couple Birdseye Maple 5 's all with Bartolini soapbars and some earlier Boire 4's with Barts also. Dale Titus at Warwick told me that they even made him an Ovangkol one, never seen it must've changed to Modulus not long after. I am assuming that his Dolphins just could not hold up to road wear, his 4 looked pretty bad on Listener Supported. I don't really care about the Thumb 4 or 5 used on Crash or live for slide solos. I know he used a Eventide Ultra-harmonizer for effects and several SWR Grand Prix preamps with a Crest power amp (7001 series). I am not too familiar with the Aphex 661 or Meyer cp-10, but I don't have the money for Meyer stuff anyway, including the mutiple 15 and 18' speakers. Again, I don't really care about his new gear just the older (beautiful sounding) stuff. Any technical info or advice would be appreciated. I have the Crest, SWR, Warwick and Modulus but something is missing. I am really looking for his live tone, I know he uses a lot of gear in the studio, but I am largely unconcerned with this. Also, I wondering what he used on the Lillywhite sessions, (My guess is the Warwick Dolphin Maple 5- NOT Modulus- too much familiar growl) I wonder what he will choose to use on Busted Stuff, due out July 16th. Thanks for any advice on anything to do with Stefan, let's keep this largely related to equipment- as we all know what a great player he is. Thanks, Marc

2. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Hey, we are corresponding on the thread about Dolphins on the other board too. My guess is that he'll stick with the Flea 5 on Busted Stuff -- he used the F5 on all but two tracks on Everyday, and he's holding or playing the thing in most of the promotional videos/pics I've seen for Busted Stuff. He uses a 4 for Grey Street (at least live) and from what I can tell he's using a fretless Q5 on Where Are You Going (again, at least the live versions).

Re: Lillywhites, I think he's most likely using his Mods there too. He really seemed to shift away from the Warwicks around 1999/early 2000, and the Lillies were recorded in Spring of 2000. I think he was using his Mods almost exclusively in 2000 and I know he was last year and is this year. The growl you hear could just as much be due to his recording style and equipment than from the bass itself.

Re: Dolphin on LS, I didn't see how it looked bad at all, but then again, there aren't too many close-ups of it.

Wish I had more exact info, but those are my guesses.

Dino

3. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I swear that it sounds like the Dolphin 5 on the Lillywhites. It growls a lot more than the Modulus. Where are you getting info and pics on Busted Stuff? Anyway, If you have a DVD or a pause button on your VCR do a close up and examine the Dolphin on LS, it is showing some definte signs of wear and tear especially around the back part of it. Not to knock Warwick but I believe that they often speak before really knowing what they are saying, I've heard conflicting stories and info from the same guy! I REALLY dislike the bass sound on Everyday, I hope that the majority of the sucky tone, etc was thanks to Mr. Ballard. I hope that Busted Stuff sounds a little more like Stefan, even if its somewhat different. Anyways, Thanks Marc

4. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    www.dmb-bustedstuff.com has promotional videos and Stefan appears to be using his Flea (and a Q5) in all the shots.

Busted Stuff will sound more like Stefan, if only because his parts won't be so basic and charted out like Ballard did for Everyday. They're his own parts through and through. I've heard clips from all the songs, and you can basically expect the Lillywhite level of playing; as for the actual tone, I haven't heard enough to make the call of whether it "sounds" like Stefan, but since the recording is done on the Modulus, you can take from that what you will.

I think we'll have to accept that Stefan won't get the same tone that he had from the earlier albums until and unless he goes back to the Warwicks, which I don't think will happen anytime soon. He's pimped the Mods quite heavily in interviews. But hell, McCartney went back to his Hofner eventually, right? Maybe there's hope... :)

Dino

5. As another Stefan nut, i would love him to go back to the Dolphins. I personally prefer Dolphins to Mods (I have only played one or seen one ever but!).

But if he doesn't it doesn't bother me that much. I love everything he does, and that includes the stuff on Everyday. i am listening to that album right now, and even Ballard might have made him adjust his typical style, he still plays some really tasty lines.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Truth of the matter is that alot of his tone is from the myer stuff! If you ever get a chance to play with a myer cab then do it! You will be in love!

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Maybe it's me-
    IMO, Lessard sounded 'best' on the band's earliest recordings-

Remember Two Things
    Recently

The bass is very punchy & upfront.
    The bass' tone on some of the later recordings sounds 'lost in the mix'...

8. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    It's not just you... once Lillywhite entered the picture, they started mixing him way too softly, IMO. I've also noticed these problems in the live shows. They need to jack his volume up by about 20% at least.

9. I don't why the fussing over how to get his live sound. If you've seen him perform live, then you've heard him thru the PA (maybe you can hear a little of his stage rig, I dunno), with the engineer doing whatever he wants to his sound at the board. I don't know how you go and try to replicate that. Seems like splitting hairs.

Now, if you want to try to cop his sound on a cd, that's another story, because you then have a reference point. But do understand that there's SO many things that happen to his signal in recording that HE probably isn't aware of. I dunno, seems pointless.

10. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Checking back in, Busted Stuff leaked to the net last night and it's now available for all to hear. Stefan is all over this album and for really the first time, he is mixed loudly enough to have an effect. His playing is very solid... possibly not as flashy as some of the Lillywhite work, but it's classy and lends itself to the songs well.

Just from the tone, it sounds like he's using the Mod Flea basses. They are a little more up-front than the Warwick basses.

Anyway, it's a very good effort and it's also really nice to finally hear the guy for the first time on a studio recording.

Dino

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    saw him here last night and .......... HE'S USING AMPEG CAB'S NOW. ***?????? his tone was good though but his tone is good now. i have never been a huge fan of warwick though. dont try to cop his sound man. i was in a cover band for awhile that did ALOT of dave covers and i drove myself nuts trying to cop his tone exactly. got a warwick and everything. just be you and make sure its punchy and you will be doin all good.

12. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    Isn't he playing a Fender Jazz Deluxe in the Crush video? Maybe i'm wrong.

13. \

yes, but i always thought he used a Warwick Dolphin when recorded it.

-lex

14. DinoSco

DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    To my knowledge, the studio Crush was done with the Dolphin 4-string.

15. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am going to get a Flea 5 and I am trying to figure out a good preamp to get a good mix between Stefan's old (SWR Grand Prix) and new (Ampeg SVT 2 & 4) sound. Anyone tried EBs HD350? or Aguilar db659 with Modulus or anything else? I just want some SWR hifi cut with Ampeg OOMPH...Let me know, Marc

16. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone know what kind of amp Stefan used for Busted Stuff? Thanks, Marc

17. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Dale works at Warwick? Have'nt heard about him in a long, long time.

Anyone remember the articles he wrote for bass player mag ? the were the best things I ever read in that mag, all about breaking habbits and inspiring creativity.

Great guy.

AJ

18. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    Actually, most of those articles are here, on Warwick's site. I agree, good stuff.

19. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone tries the Aphex 661 compressor? All these circuits are confusing, easyrider, tubessence, frequency expander! What will this do for my sound? What will it take away? Thanks, Marc

20. I know he used an euphonic audio Iamp350 into an epifani 310 with his mod. flea bass on some recordings with govt mule. The dmb website also has info on his gear.
    Ross