Stefan Lessard (of Dave Matthews Band)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Mar 29, 2001.

1. I'm not sure if there has been a thread about him. but if so, im gonna start a new thread anyways. So anyone like his playing? I think their new single "I did it" has got a great bass line. and what exactly is his full setup? all i know is he uses a warwick and a swr rig, but im sure of the exact stuff he uses.
  2. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I think his live rig is an old SVT head as well as a modern head of composed of all sorts of rack gear (probably the SWR stuff)
  3. yeah, there were two threads about him in the recent past. i can't stand "I did it." i've seen him use a warwick dolphin and some kinda really cool green modulus.
  4. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma has his equipment list. He seems to use modulus flea basses most of the time. And he has those SWR preamps going to PA amps and subs.
  5. He used a Modulus to record the album. I just saw a show on them recently. Lessard's using Modulus almost exclusively live now, I think. The rig is a rack full of stuff and 2 Meyer 650 subs (2 x 18") plus 2 Meyer MSL2s (15" + 2" horn). Meyer makes the highest fidelity PA speakers in the business! It probably sounds better than any bass amp. It should considering the speakers are like $5000 a piece... They also use Meyer speakers exclusively for house sound.
  6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Steffan is truly a master in hes playing! I did it is kinda cool but nothing like there other albums! One of my favs is 41 on crash!~I could go on and on with him! He doesnt get enough spot light in the bass world! But then again he doesnt jump around with a sock on his dicccckk! Ya he uses meyer self powerd cabs wich are truly awsome, He generally uses the dolphins in the studio now! But the secret behind his very low awsome sound is the growl from the warwicks and a little magic box from aphex!
  7. Right on!

Well, someone had to say it.
  8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Iam not afraid of flea! Man ive been playing bass for about 17 years and i can learn any chili pepper song in less than a hour! But man to set down and learn a dave mathews band song correctly takes about a day some times! But alot of that is that ive played mainly funk for years and iam trying to back to a softer jazz sound!
  9. Hmmm,
    Well I must say I am not the hugest Dave Matthews Band fan there is (but our guitar player is). However I must say I think that Stefan Lessard is one of the MOST underrated player on the scene right now. I don't know what his live rig is like. Still I like Stefan, and I don't have any qualms saying I think he is not given the credit that could come his way.
  10. Stefan Lessard is the reason I even originally tok notice of the bass. I heard Rapunzel and was like hmm this is really neat. So I went and bought the album Before These Crowded Streets. I then thought ok Stefan rules, DMB rules!!! Then I listened to one of my KISS albums (KISS being my fav band) and was like hey I could be like Gene Simmons, a singin', bass player. But anyway from then on Dave Matthews Band became my favorite band ever next to KISS being my fav of all time. I got all DMB's RCA studio albums and have the Listener Supported video. It is really some neat stuff. You must buy the video. It has a really great bass solo which is about 1:50. He uses some chorus it sounds like. While the solo doesn't have him bustin' some crazy chops, it has him playing a really nice and beautiful solo.
    As for his equipment most here have posted what he uses. Go to for a complete list of his equipment.

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Ya kiss is a fun band i consider them kinda like candy! I wouldnt say they are good musicians by far but they are fun to listen too! Gene simmons isnt a good bass player and he would probably be the first to tell you that! But he has one hell of a tung! But ya steffan he is the man!
  12. Hehe, yeah Gene isn't a great player but you have to admit his stage presence is unbeatable. KISS is great because they are one of those fun bands. But Stefan is by far a better bassist.
  13. Yeah I too am a fan of Stefan Lessard and have been meaning to post here about him for a while now too. I have been a DMB fan for a while now and have wondered why he doesn't get more recognition. They are all very good musicians. I have to admit I didn't like 'I Did It' either but it's now growing on me. As you can tell by my name it is possible to be a Stef fan and a fan of 'the socked one' also. Two different styles but they're both excellent. (Flea still got a leg up in my opinion though)
  14. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah iam not sure wich is harder to play! Flea is a fast nasty ugly style and stefan is a slow smooth jazz style! One would think that flea is better because he is faster but to play some of stefans stuff is a mother! You have to use your finger or thumb just right to get those sounds or it wont sound correct at all! For example try to do that slide thing he does in ants marching! Wow! Its not that hard to play but its a bitch to make it sound correct!
  15. fallon7284

Apr 21, 2001
    for all you "fans" out there, i've seen them with all their diff gear -- the man plays a PHAT old bubinga warwick dophin pro I(the illest bass that ever lived, yess, lived) and a green over blue quilted maple modulus quantum 5 string. thats his gear on all albums up to and including listener supported. Since the summer of 2000 he has been playing live shows SOLELY with his modulus fleabass and fleabass 5 string. He recorded both everyday and the lillywhite sessions with these two basses.
    I also know he has a warwick thumb 6 string in his repertoire, but I personall have never seen or heard it used.
  16. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    there was a SNL a while back where he used his 6 string thumb.