Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stefan lessard

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jun 23, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey all did anyone get the new bassplayer mag yet? Who is this devon that he talks about jamming with? Id like to get that cd! Maybe he will play more like himself on that album!

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    yeah i read about that too. i dont know who it is though.

3. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    hmmm didnt know the mag was out yet. oh and devon....well he produced her?(not sure if a her or not) album. his first time producing an album....also, out of curiousity what do you mean play more like himself?

4. I think Eric's referring to the fact that Lessard was forced to sit down and play typical rock bass parts, which are pretty lame and boring by his standards. Just from the radio songs, I've found that Lessard is being forced into a very narrow role, as is Beauford. The rhythm section is, in my opinion, DMB's only saving grace, and Ballard's pop-rock production forces it into a very awkward situation. Beauford and Lessard are way too loose to be stuck in "the pocket."

I detest Glen Ballard, because he is the typical American record company cop--forcing everything into an extremely MOR mold, designed to appeal to the 25-44 VH-1 audience. He did it to No Doubt, and now he's doing it to DMB. I hate DMB with a passion, but I at least respect them for doing their own thing, and Everydays is not it.

5. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yes thats what i meant totally! In the mag he says that the guy basically wrote the parts on keyboard for them and they played it! Sounds like crap to me! What happend to songs like 41 and ants?

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...totally agree; when those guys leave, Dave might as well pack it in & head back to the coffee bars...solo. ;)
    Now, after seeing the newest DMB video(with all those babes), I dunno...who in their right mind would wanna leave? ;)

BTW, don't forget Ballard did Jagged Little Pill with Alanis; her LIVE shows(with real musicians), though, outdid the production(Ballard/machines)on the cd(that's the way it oughta be, right?).

7. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    oh i see. i agree about everyday. anyway yes without Carter and Stefan it would kinda suck. dont get me wrong LeRoi, Dave, and Boyd are all really talented but if their rhythm section wasnt so freaking tight together they wouldnt be jack. i mean DMB is what some people call a jam band if they didnt have Carter or Stefan or least someone equally as talented they wouldnt be able to do what they do...soo..is the article is Bass Player good?

8. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah its kinda cool but stefan says stuff like he likes playing the stuff that he does no even at the risk of doing what someone tells him to do! I would really hate that! But there is some good stuff about him there!

9. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    stefan is a freaking good bassist....but i already know that you agree eric..i saw them in concert here in Texas and he did a solo as an intro to All Along the Watchtower and it was like almost 5 minutes long and was very creative

10. the man has got some tight, tasteful chops. i wish he was more prominent in the mix.

nonrelated question, and i hope this doesn't sound sarcastic or anything because i'm just wondering: eric, have you ever written a post without :D at the top of it? i just recently noticed you do this all the time. are you just an extremely happy guy?

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yaaa Mann! I smoke a big joint before i get on here! Probably expalins alot of my grammer and spelling probs! HeHe

12. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Just finished reading the Stefan Lessard article yesterday. I gotta say I have much respect for the man.

I'm a casual fan of DMB, but became more interested in just Stefan recently (It was his grooving in "Don't Drink the Water", I think, that did it. :)). He's one of those bassists I feel are underrated. And from reading the BP article I can put him in the category as 'stuck in the band'. What I mean is, I do feel he's one of those people that are 'stuck' not playing to their full capabilities in the band he/she is in. Not his fault, but you know he's wanting to broaden his horizons.

One thing I would love is for him to put out a solo album.

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I can imagine that playin' with Carter night-after-night will broaden one's horizons(ie, not really 'stuck in the band' syndrome, though, I do get your drift).

I like the deceptively simple things, like on "Halloween"-
    The 1-bar figure goes(I think)-
    /1_2&3&4_/
    /F_FBBCC_/

See, I like how the "B" note is first played on the "& of 2"(as well as the "C" note first being played on the "& of 3").
    The 'typical' guy may have played it like this-
    /1&2&3&__/
    /FFBBCC__/

14. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    i think #41 and The Stone are two of his greatest improv songs....i saw them live and his improv-ing in #41 blew me away